Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wake the baby for feeding?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Hi deasy_h - congrats on your baby. My baby was just born almost 6 weeks ago and she too, had a spot of jaundice that showed up on her 1 and then 2 week appointment (totally cleared at 1 month), and I felt she was pretty sleepy at the beginning. Maybe I got paranoid because at the (public) hospital they were really obnoxious about making me feed her every 2-3 hours. But I felt that in her first few weeks she needed to be roused so I woke her up in the day if she went past 3 hrs without waking. I also wanted to start out with a good milk supply.
    BUT - I asked the doctor, and he said that unless the baby has more serious jaundice (the kind that requires therapy), it doesn't actually make them sleepy.
    Anyway, you just do what you feel is right. Her diapers are many though! If you are feeding her every 3 hours, why so many diapers? This may make it look like she is not urinating so frequently. With each feeding, she should have a wet diaper, and sometimes stool.

deasy_h is offline Registered User

Thanks all. I think I will continue to wake my baby during the day. She did need a phototherapy when she was about 1 week. That's why I keep freaking out.
    I'm also confused about her stool. She always has wet diaper AND stool at each feeding. Even sometimes I also need to change the diaper again AFTER feeding. Do you think it's not normal? The stool is really watery. That's why she is also having diaper rash for almost a week. I really worry about the rashes :(

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

THere is a wide range of what is normal for babies, while many don't have stool after each feed it is quite normal for this to happen and is a good sign that she is taking plenty of milk. It is also quite normal for it to be watery as after all she is only having liquid; however if you are at all concerned then check at the maternal health clinic as they will be able to observe and hopefully reassure you that all is well.

Thanks TNT,
    Actually I have an appointment with the MCH on 22nd for vaccination. Do I have to make another appointment or can I just ask the doctor to check my baby after the vaccination?
    My baby only takes milk for 5-10 minutes (breastfeeding). So I also don't know whether it's enough? Sometimes I have to wake her up during the feeding & ask her to drink more. But it's not always successful.

carang is offline Registered User

deasy, you MUST relax about all of this. it will affect your supply if you continue to worry about it all.

first: as others have said, it is perfectly normal for babies to have watery stools. they only have liquid intake, it would be very strange for them to have anything solid in their poop if all they are having is liquid.

second: it is also normal for some babies to poop each and every nappy. it is also normal for some babies to only poop every day or two! there is a HUGE range of normal!

third: for nappy rash, buy desitin. it creates a barrier between the bottom and the liquid and prevents rashes from starting (my girl got terrible rashes if she was left even 5 minutes with a wet/dirty nappy).

fourth: some babies are efficient eaters and only EVER suck for 5-10 minutes. both of mine were like this. if your baby is feeding regularly and is producing enough nappies, then you are doing it right.

lastly: you do not need to make another appt with the MHC. the nurses will ALWAYS meet with you to discuss any issues before baby gets the injection.

you need to have confidence in yourself and your abilities.

good luck!

Last edited by carang; 03-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Carang, thanks a lot for your advices. Everything is new for me so worry too much.
    Will try using Desitin. Actually, I have used Egozite but it only worked for some days then the rashes come back :( So sad to see my little one with red, swollen & sometimes bleeding bottom :((

Hi Carang,
    My husband has tried to look for Desitin in Taste, Park n Shop & Watson near our place but could not find one. Where & which branch do you usually buy it? Thanks.

carang is offline Registered User

my kids are older now (4 & 6) so we dont use it anymore. I think we bought it in discovery bay or in central at bumps to babes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12