Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

ESF - must find you a place??

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    Thanks. I had to look up the ESF school site to see what Cat 1 and Cat 2 means. So, Cat 1 is first or alternative language English but do not speak Cantonese?

Maybe I am banging on a bit but if (1) we don't get into the ESF school in our catchment, or (2) we get an interview but don't get a place, what happens? I assume for (1) you go on the waitlist for the ESF for your catchment or maybe get offered another ESF school (based on someone above talking about overflow from Bradbury to Quarry Bay. For (2) do you get a chance to do the interview again the next year or does it depend on the reason for "failing" the interview?

PS I also heard that being a permanent resident helps?
    From what I know being a PR does not offer any benefits and/or priorities. With regards to interviews. You get or you don't get an interview. If you get one you either pass or fail (the majority does pass). If you fail it's quite unlikely you'll get a spot, unless it's related to age deferral or possibly language. Once you get an interview you have about 80-90% chance (my personal experience) to get offered a spot. Once you apply again, you would have to interview for the following year (Y2), and then they'll test a few more things like reading, writing, basic math, etc.

As the overflow goes, there is hardly any this year, especially on the island. QBS has plenty of applicants to get through themselves so it's highly unlikely they'll be taking from other schools. Assume it's similar for most schools.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Thanks Mommyto3.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Starbucks2, the PIS schools under the ESF umbrella do prioritise parents who have residencies at full capacity and as I understood it, they are at capacity. ESF schools doesn't.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Thanks quasimother. That must be what I heard in relation to Discovery College.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123