Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

DMK or Sunshine House Kindergarten in Discovery Bay?

cathryn is offline Registered User

Starbucks - I did consider it, but my son is not yet 3 either. Plus when we move to DB this weekend we are moving to Serene which meant Sunshine was alot more convenient or if not there then DMK. When I went to view DMK and Sunshine I found them both to be pretty academic, in classroom like situations which is very different to back in the UK where there were lots of toys and it was generally about playing.

Anyway he will start next week so I'll just see how it goes, fingers crossed he will like it. When I asked him which one he preferred he said Sunshine, I said why and he said because they were having snacks!! Typical its all about the food!

It would be great to meet up for a coffee now that we are moving there (not sure if you remember me but you have helped in several matters on where to live, what schools etc etc!)

x

Hi Walnut,
    Thanks for the info, you have definitely make me re-think and I am not happy with him having changes of teachers constantly as my son is shy initially so takes him a while to get to know people. I am going to ask them if he can go on a wait list for mornings and if not maybe he could start the next term (which I presume will be next Jan) rather than this August, by which time he will be coming up to 4 in the May so fingers crossed he wont need the sleep so much.

I just know what he is like when he hasn't slept, he doesn't listen, wont do what I say, is very stubborn and will eventually just crash out wherever he is, so i don't want him to be like that at the kindergarten.

Only downside doing this is that he will probably get used to Sunshine and I'll take him out plus I'll have to buy the uniform for only 1 term!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

Hi Cathryn

Have PM'ed you.

Thanks

Hi Cathryn

How are you finding Sunshine House? I have a friend considering sending her child there for a morning class and wondered if you had any feedback.

Thanks

To be honest with you I am not liking it. I am taking Harry out and I am going to send him to a place called Woodentots Montessori Playgroup instead.

I know people that like Sunshine so I think it is just Harry's class. I find it way to academic, no playing, they never do anything like painting or sticking etc. On Mothers Day we were given a mothers day card and I said to Harry did you make this? He said no the teacher made them! I find the teachers not so happy, they don't really smile, Harry cried every time he went there and they didnt comfort him, he has just stopped crying now but I am still not happy with the place, every time I look through the window all they are doing is circle time - listening to the teacher talk. I want him to actually be doing stuff.

So today I went to see the Montessori one in North Plaza and this playgroup run by one lady and have decided to go with woodentots, its a nice little group, just 8 children and 1 teacher and she was great with Harry.

But I do have a friend who's daughter goes to sunshine and loves it (in a different class) so maybe it just depends on the teacher. Harry is in Rainbow Class with Miss Priya and Miss Nancy.

Hope this helps
    x

Narayanism is offline Registered User

About Discovery Montessori at DB North

Hello folks

My elder daughter has been attending pre-school classes at Woodlands Caine Road - we love the Montessori system.

We're now moving to DB in July 2011.

I found this discussion very insightful - you folks clearly have a great sense on what parents look for in pre-schools. I will really value your advise on the Discovery Montessori School at DB North.

Thank you! - Priya

Hi Priya,

I did go to see the Montessori in DB North this morning and really liked the looks of this also. The main reason I have decided to go with Woodentots is the cost. DB North is $6500 per month, you have to go 5 mornings/afternoons a week and you pay a debenture of around £25,000 (you get this back though when you leave) but to fork out $25k is quite a lot for us. At woodentots you dont pay this and you have the option of 2 or 3 days rather than the 5. Woodentots is a much smaller place which is run by a lady who is montessori trained, so it is not an actual registered montessori school. Anyway I like it, but depends what you want, if you want a bigger school environment then perhaps DB North is the better option. Like I say I did really like it, it was mainly the cost being an issue for me.

Hope this helps
    Cathryn

Thanks Cathryn. Will pass on your feedback on Sunshine House. I know she was going to have a look at a few but good to hear some real life experiences of places. I totally understand your point about finding one that suits the individual child (and parents) needs. We also looked at the DB North Montessori when we were looking 9 months ago and the cost was one thing that put us off. To be honest, the rooms were lovely, new and bright but am not sure that Montessori style is for me. That one, anyway, seemed very strict - only wooden approved Montessori toys/puzzles. No dressups or cars etc. I wanted something more relaxed for my son especially at the 2.5 - 3.5 years age. He is loving it at DMK Playgroup (which is a good mix of structure and playtime) and I only have good things to report about the style and teachers there.

Good to hear you have found one that looks to suit you and your son. I find that thinking about schooling in Hong Kong seems to occupy so much of my time!

SB2

Last edited by starbucks2; 05-19-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast