Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breech baby and natural birth

smile-ss is offline Registered User

Breech baby and natural birth

Hi, I am 34 weeks pregnant with the first baby. Since many weeks the baby is in the frank breech position so I have the feeling she won't turn. My doctor has already tried to talk me into a C-section. Giving natural birth to breech babies is pretty common in Europe but seems it is not the case in HK. Did anybody give birth vaginally to a frank breech baby in HK, and particularly in Matilda? Which experienced doctor do you recommend?

Since the baby stays at the legs straight up position for a long time, I can't imagine she would voluntarily move her head down and bend her legs to the optimal position. Did anybody ever have a frank breech baby and the baby turned on his own naturally before the birth?

1stimemum is offline Registered User

Yes unfortunately natural delivery for a breech baby seems to be rather uncommon. I delivered my son via C-section and he was also breech. He pretty much stayed in the exact same position since wk 30 (at least everytime we went for the ultra sound!!! ) In the end, i delivered full term , 3 days shy of my due date.

My dr was amazingly supportive and encouraged me to try all the natural methods; moxibustion, acupuncture, foot massage but nothing worked for me.

my son is now 14mths and whilst I would really have liked to have experienced natural birth, i realise thats for my benefit not his. This is some risk in natural breech delivery and unless you can find a very very experienced doctor who has done alot of those, its not worth it.

The risks are mainly that the baby might not have enough oxygen during delivery as the head is the last out. Also the mother has pushed so hard and expended so much effort just to get the legs, torso out and if the head does get stuck, an emergency c section than becomes a serious matter.

Dont mean to dampen your spirits, do try all the natural methods as I know of people (and maybe some moms here) who's babies did turn.

smile-ss is offline Registered User

1stimemum, thanks a lot for your input! May I know you had a scheduled C-Section? Or did your contraction start and ended up to have an emergency CS? I do wish I could wait till the last minute to see if the baby would turn by any chance to have a natural delivery, if it is safe to do so.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

my first baby was breeched and we decided to do a c sec after much consideration as well. he arrived one day before the scheduled day. so yes i experienced water bag breaking and contractions :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

1stimemum is offline Registered User

I did a scheduled c -section for a very simple reason, cost. I was 1 wk away from my due date when I was at my drs' for my last check up and my doctor said if i waited, we will just end up an emergency c section (the odds of him turning at this point was low) and at Matilda's the emergency c section cost different was substantial

also my amnoitic fluid level was very low and she didnt want to complicate matters so she actually called the hospital to schedule it for earliest available slot!!! was which the day after, trust me i was actually in shock. I went home and spent the next day packing the house/ calling home et and and i had my little one the day after.

I did want to keep trying and more importantly even though I suspected by wk 33,34 wks that he wasnt going to turn (stubborn like his parents!!!) i wanted to carry him to as close to full term as i could so that he would be a good size. My dr was also supportive hence my being able to try all sorts of measures till wk 38.

I feel that as long as the little one comes out safe , how the package arrived really isnt as important!