Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A toddler and a baby - one room...good idea?

ssheng is offline Registered User

A toddler and a baby - one room...good idea?

I am expecting my second baby soon, and the age difference between my two girls will be about 15 months. My first daughter is still in a crib and I plan to co-sleep with the second for the first few months.

My question is, after we want to transition our second daughter into another room, do you think it is a good or bad idea to have the two girls share a room? Assuming they both sleep through the night (although I know that can always change), I imagine their schedules might be similar enough this could work. I also wanted to avoid buying another crib, and so I thought we could graduate our first daughter into a toddler bed at the same time we introduced our second to the crib.

This wouldn't normally be an issue but as always with HK, there are major space concerns! :)

Your suggestions would be appreciated! (Please don't tell me to move...we just bought this place. :P)

plumtree is offline Registered User

Congratulations!! We have a two bedroom flat too. My two boys are about 20 months apart and have been sharing a room from when No 2 was 5-6 months old and sleeping through. We haven't really had problems with it. We have a travel cot in our room for No 2's naps and for the nights when No 2 has been unsettled and we've had to move him because he would disturb his brother. Thankfully, those nights have only happened when No 2 was ill, and normally they both share a room at nights.

I think sharing a room makes my two closer. In the mornings, we sometimes hear them talking to each other, which is sweet. Either that, or if No 1 is still asleep and No 2 wakes first, we take No 2 out first to let No 1 sleep in.

No 1 is in a toddler bed. He didn't move to a bed exactly at the same time as No 2 moved to a crib, but we were lucky enough to have someone give us a second cot/bed so that worked well.

So it's do-able!

plumtree is offline Registered User

I forgot to say we put No 2 to bed earlier. No 1 gets his bath and a story sitting on our bed and then goes to bed. No 2 is an earlier riser than No 1, who typically likes lying in for about 15-20 mins more. Different kids are different and I guess the point I'm trying to make is that kids that age adapt easily to changes to the bedtime routine...so it's all possible!

banane76 is offline Registered User

We're in the same boat and plan to have the 2 share a room at around 4-5 months. Most people don't have the luxury to have each child in their own rooms here in HK. Let us know how it goes. My second is due next week and my first just turned 15 months yesterday :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

We have our two together - 2.5 years and 8 months old. It's not perfect but it works!!

newbiekt is offline Registered User

I have two boys 13 months apart (nearly two and nearly one at the moment!) I am holding off putting them together until no.2 has a few more of his teeth. My only other piece of advice is not to rush the older one out of the cot. Personally I would prefer to invest in a cheap IKEA or secondhand cot than have a little one clambering out of bed in the night or early hours of the morning! I don't think it's a milestone which needs to be rushed and there doesn't seem to be any developmental benefit to the child.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User

I have my boys in the same room as well- 18 months apart. And I think we have been able to do so only because both boys are sleep trained. So mostly if one wakes up at night, the other keeps sleeping or if both wake up and cry- it takes upto 10 min of simultaneous or tandem crying and they settle back down. Started around 5-6months too. We also put younger one to bed first.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

If I had both babies the same sex, I would consider it more. I don't, but more the deciding factor was the sleep issue. I just don't want to risk either of them waking the other up. My sleep is too precious and too little as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast