Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Queen Mary Private Clinic you experience and approximate cost?

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

Queen Mary Private Clinic you experience and approximate cost?

Hi Just wondering if anyone out there is using Queen Marys private clinic? what do you think and I heard that the cost is as much as Matilda is that true? I am just looking at options at the moment and love to here someone's experience.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

went there for my 2nd one and would say the waiting time and cost is pretty much the same as any other private hospital (including matilda where I had my first one) the only reason i'd go back to QMH is if my pregnancy was complicated and needed access to the NICU or pediatric ward after birth since the machinery for these is better than any other private hospital in town (problem births from Matilda are sent to QMH)

newhkmommy is offline Registered User

i have been using queen mary's private clinic and have a booking there. am also seeing dr ghosh (primarily) and am on waitlist for matilda. i am a hi risk case, so i have to deliver at qm if i don't make it to 34 weeks. i have found the cost for qm private clinic to be about the same as ghosh for doctor visits, sonograms, etc. the waiting time has been very reasonable (even better than for dr ghosh, though his office is good about calling day-of to let you know how long he is running behind). have not been through the delivery yet but i expect costs would be similar. frankly, i am torn between queen mary and matilda because of the excellent nicu, etc at qm. if my booking does not come through at matilda, i am fine with that. the main difference that i can ascertain is that the food is much better at matilda but we will work around that with food deliveries, etc!

newhkmommy is offline Registered User

also, forgot to note that i am having a c-section (my third) and i pretty much know what i am doing re: breastfeeding, baby care, etc. if you need more handholding, i'm not sure whether qm is as good as a private hospital. good luck

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

Thanks just got my confirmation at Matilda this afternoon. Only issue I have is that unlike my first baby I do not have insurance this time and I am also planning to have an elective c-Section ( emergency c-section for the first) aware public hospitals do not offer elective c-sections. I am planning to also see Dr Edmund Hon next week and have them book Canossa or Adventist wandering if thats all too late only reason is that it would be cheaper. I called Canossa this morning and they are full until end of October its just crazy how a HK Resident has to stress about finding a bed to give birth in HK.

AmyH is offline Registered User

I had an emergency c-section for my first child (UK). When I was having my second (Hong Kong) I wanted a VBAC. when I went for my first appointment in the public hospital the doctor asked if I wanted another c-section but I said no. I went overdue and was induced but before the doctor induced me she again offered me a c-section.

If you are concerned about no insurance and the cost of going private then I would suggest that you also register at a public hospital and just ask the doctor if it would be at all possible to have an elective c-section. They will not give you a confirmed date until your 34 week appointment as far as I know but there would be no harm in registering there, as it does not cost anything and you can have a definite answer from the doctor on duty.

mazamarie is offline Registered User

I had an emergency c section with my first and am pregnant with number 2. At my check ups in the public system I was told it was my choice if I wanted another c section or try for a vaginal and that I don't have to decide until 34 weeks. So they do not offer elective c sections if you haven't had one before but they do if you have had a previous c section.
    Posted via Mobile Device

papa2b is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by cxflygirl View Post
    ... I am also planning to have an elective c-Section ( emergency c-section for the first) aware public hospitals do not offer elective c-sections.....
    Not actually true. The public system does allow for elective c-sections under certain circumstances such as if you have given birth by c-section before.

Around 2 months before due date, they had asked my wife for her preference e.g. natural or c. We opted to do another C and it was very well handled in terms of scheduling and after care.