Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

getting dependent visa

Onyim is offline Registered User

getting dependent visa

Hello there, I'm a US citizen resident in hong kong, I gave birth to a baby here in hong kong recently. How do I go about getting a dependent visa for the baby? Please help!!!

megan2008 is offline Registered User

Did you get the birth certificat yet? It's been a while but I think this is the process. Once you get the hong kong birth certificate, you will need to go to the US embassy (I think you have to set up an appointment) with your baby and apply for a passport. Once you get the passport, you will have to fill out a simple form to get the dependent visa. I am not quite sure what the form is called but you will need to go to Hong Kong immigration department and give them the form and passport but you do NOT need to bring you baby for that. You will have to bring the birth certificate ( I would bring both the birth abroad from the states as well as the Hong Kong birth certificate) to be safe. Hope that helps.

elle is offline Registered User

We (US citizens in HK on work visas) got a dependent visa for our baby (born in HK) last year BEFORE we got her passport. They did the dependent visa paperwork when we registered her birth. The first time you travel you need to bring the baby's birth certificate, the stamped paper with the baby's visa on it and the passport. When you exit/ enter HK they will stamp the baby's passport with the visa stamp that they gave when you get the birth certificate.

Onyim is offline Registered User

Thank you both so much
    Posted via Mobile Device

megan2008 is offline Registered User

I guess there are two ways you can get it :) But, for me, we didn't need to bring the birth certificate when we traveled with our baby for the first time. Good luck.