Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stretch mark prevention

RileyC is offline Registered User

Question Stretch mark prevention

I realise that the severity and occurrence (or non-occurrence) of stretch marks is largely dependent on genetics. However, as I'm pregnant with my first I'm curious to know what worked and/or didn't work for all you mothers out there. What products did you use? When did you start your regimen and how long did you persist with it? Did anyone wear a belly band (you know those ones that supposedly lift and support the belly so as to minimise stretching of the skin) ? Did anyone go for a tummy tuck? Do skinny mothers generally fare worse as far as stretch marks go?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I can say that none of the "anti-stretch mark" creams like belly butter worked at all for me. I applied them religiously from the beginning of my pregnancy (8 weeks) on and they didn't help or prevent anything. I think it has a lot to do with each individual--genetics are a HUGE part of it. Also huge is how thin you were at the beginning of your pregnancy, how much bigger you got and how fast you grew. By the time I was six months pregnant I already had obvious stretch marks on the sides of my belly and in the end I had stretch marks all over my belly, under my arms, on my thighs, on my calves and on my breasts and bum--pretty much all over my body! They were pretty unsightly! Finally they faded to white from the bright red and purple "gashes" (I call them my "tiger stripes" now) they were.

With my second pregnancy I just applied pure olive oil to my skin after bathing--several times a day and my skin was very soft and I didn't get any new stretch marks (but this pregnancy was smaller than my first so...). I say, good luck and hopefully you'll be one of the ladies who don't get stretch marks but if you're going to get them, there probably isn't much you can do about it anyway. :(

banane76 is offline Registered User

For my first pregnancy I was really lucky and didn't get any stretch marks. I religiously put belly butter on twice a day. This time around, I did the same, but maybe once a day after my bath and was ok throughout most of my pregnancy...Then in month 8, they started to appear. This baby is bigger and suddenly stretched outwards so there wasn't much I could do. I'm still putting on the belly butter as I'm due any day (doesn't hurt), but I know they'll fade later on.

From reading thanka's and banane76's posts, as well as talking to other mothers, I've more or less become resigned to the fact that my body is going to change. There's just a a huge sense of dread about the whole thing. It's tough because I'm the sort of person who likes to be in control and I'm not used to resigning myself to a situation. If genetics is a major factor, then my Mum's experience is freaking me out! Her stretch marks are bad. What does give me a glimmer of hope though is that she NEVER used any moisturisers or creams for her belly.

As soon as I found out that I was pregnant I immediately started using Bio Oil. I have since discontinued using it because I found it too oily and it gave me zits wherever I used it! Can you imagine that? LOL My sister has since asked around her friends and suggested I try Mama Mio Tummy Rub Oil, which smells lovely. It also seems to sink into the skin a lot better. As to whether it will prevent the stretch marks, I'll have to report on that later.

I guess part of becoming a mother involves embracing the changes (some temporary, others permanent) which our bodies go through. Maybe I should learn to be less vain!! LOL

Cherina is offline Registered User

I'm currently 6 months pregnant and no stretch marks so far despite quite a bit of weight gain. I'm using the Mama Mio oil and yes it does smell lovely. It's also not too greasy so doesn't get on your clothes if you dress straight after applying it.
    Hopefully I will continue stretch mark free......

ozmerc is offline Registered User

I got no stretch marks with my first pregnancy - until about 2 weeks before I gave birth. I am absolutely under no illusion about the usefulness of the various anti-stretch mark products - I don't believe they do a thing. It's probably dependent mostly on genetics and how large you grow over the course of your pregnancy. If you are going to apply anything, I'd stick with something neutral like olive or grapeseed oil as other posters suggested. They would be equally as effective and a lot healthier than some of the chemically derived products out there like Bio Oil. I think the best you could hope for any oil or cream to do would be to prevent that dreadful itching that comes with rapidly stretching skin!

Quote Originally Posted by ozmerc View Post
    I think the best you could hope for any oil or cream to do would be to prevent that dreadful itching that comes with rapidly stretching skin!
    Yes, I've heard about the itching but have yet to experience it. When does the itching usually start?

ozmerc is offline Registered User

Mine was in the last few weeks - about the time the dreaded stretch marks appeared. Not everyone gets it but I think if you don't have a lot of 'give' in your skin i.e. it's never been stretched before, and your tummy is sizeable, then it is probably likely to happen. It was winter last time for me - I could only imagine how it would feel in the hot sticky HK heat!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast