Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Keeping baby with you after birth at public hospitals?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Also, when your baby still has the afterbirth smell on them, they feel more 'comfortable' and familiar, rather than suddenly smelling like johnson & Johnson.
    My girl smelled like afterbirth(I guess that's what is was) for quite a while after, maybe even weeks! I got to love it bc this was her special smell.
    Another interesting fact for this is that (I read a short article about this recently), when we smell our babies, our body then naturally and chemically makes up the perfectly personalized breast milk for our baby. Something to be said then for not bathing our babies right away. I thunk mine was bathed 2 times in 3 days there but not till the day after she was born...I think.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

When I smelled that amniotic/blood smell on my daughter it made me queasy and sick to my stomach. I'd be guessing she wasn't properly bathed until the day after she was born. She was initially wiped off and handed for me and stayed with me. But, I don't think they used any soap on her and she didn't smell like any kind of cleanser afterward--she still smelled like amniotic fluid and blood for 3-4 days. I think it must be a personal thing and maybe related to how I went through childbirth--after working so hard with contractions and going the full natural route, afterward, I was very glad to both wash that smell off of myself and my baby. I'm guessing my breastmilk is still just as personalized, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12