Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Reckless Mini Bus Driver--How To Report?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question Reckless Mini Bus Driver--How To Report?

We live in a pretty rural village out in the New Territories (west). There is one mini bus that runs from our village to the MTR station and to Yuen Long. This really is the only way in and out of our village. We can walk to the MTR station but it takes about 20+ minutes on a good day.

The problem is that some of the mini bus drivers are really reckless. Tonight not only did the mini bus almost run us over as we were walking on the sidewalk but when we got on (with our 4-week-old daughter in our arms) the driver still drove like a maniac. It's an older bus so there are no seatbelts. It was dark so we couldn't see who was driving until we got on. If we could have we might not have taken that bus as this driver is known for his reckless driving. He was speeding the entire way to Yuen Long (what's the rush?!)--the speedometer hit like 87 kilometers/hour but he has disabled the alarm that goes off so it didn't beep. This guy is awful! It's not the first time he's nearly killed everyone on the bus.

My question is--how do I report this guy and to whom? I am truly afraid that another awful minibus tragedy will occur if this guy continues behind the wheel. I will never ride on a bus he's driving again in the future but to protect others (and the ones walking on the sidewalk!) I feel I have to say something. My husband suggested bringing a camera on the bus to record his antics but that means I'd have to put my life in jeopardy again and I'm not up for that.

Does anyone know how to go about dealing with this situation? If I file a police report it probably won't do any good as they need some sort of evidence to investigate. I have no idea who the bus company is or how to contact them. The bus route is the 601 green minibus.

Any advice would be appreciated.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

they dont care whether we have babies on board because they have to rush to get passengers to and fro the minibus route. more passengers they pick up in one day, more they get paid so unfortunately, we can't do much but hold onto our dear lives and hope that no one gets hurt!

the bus company/owner wont do anything if you complain because they get their share of the fares by the amount of passengers he takes on one day. also cops wont do much unless he has actually caused harm to someone. even if there is evidence, he will get a warning and nothing more.

maybe you can take down his minibus license plate and tell the cops that it doesn't have seat-belts and i'm pretty sure that's illegal.

good luck and try not to get on his minibus...for now!

That's really too bad. Guess we're all walking from now on. I wanna punch that guy in the face. Honestly.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

geomum is offline Registered User

I know how you feel, I have had similar experiences but with taxi drivers. One in particular where the taxi driver got pissed off at me suggesting him an alternate route and afterwards was purposely speeding and then breaking suddenly. My son was few months old at the time and I had my then 2 year old daughter with me too. And just last month when I was taking my daughter's birthday treat to school, I told the driver to slow down as I had big trays in my hands. He said "I cannot slow down" I said why not, its unsafe to be speeding anyways and then he muttered something in chinese. So inconsiderate.
    You can call the transport department complaint unit: 28899999 be sure to note down the name, license number of the driver or drivers and the bus number. There is always a certificate displayed on the minibus about the operator, try finding the name of the operator and the address/ number. Call them too.
    The transport unit in HK is very very strict about these matters. At least when it comes to reckless taxi drivers. I have complained on a few occasions and they definitely take action. They called me to ask details and what kind of action I wanted them to take- Given warning or register a case. Even after they spoke to the driven they called me to inform about it and if I wanted them to take further action. I was impressed, but be sure to take down taxi plate number and driver's name/ license number.
    Good luck!!!

Last edited by geomum; 04-17-2011 at 05:36 AM.

ozmerc is offline Registered User

Thanka2, that's horrible. Unfortunately I wouldn't know what to do either. I'd be tempted to buy a car in order to avoid having to take the minibus.

I've hardly taken minibuses at all in my time in HK because there is usually an alternative for me. I have probably been on maybe a dozen minibus rides, and of those I have been in one minibus accident (driver's fault, unsurprisingly), and I had my 3 year old with me. There were seatbelts and we were the only ones wearing them! Not very good odds though. I'm reluctant to get in another minibus now, especially after seeing their outrageous accident statistics in the newspaper. It's helpful to know about reporting taxi drivers though - I sometimes need to get a little more assertive and let them know they need to slow down when they speed.

Thank you for that number geomum. I'm going to write it down and put it in my wallet.

Yeah, I know, ozmerc--wish that having a car was financially a viable option for us--especially with two children. But, how it is is that if you can afford to take a taxi wherever you go then you can afford to own a car (buying the car, licensing, registration, upkeep, parking, fuel etc.) and we simply can't afford a taxi to go very many places--this is why we walk and take public transport. I think that common safety should be a basic right.

Mother of Two

Biggie is offline Registered User

Is it a green or red minibus? I think the green ones are better regulated and there should be a number in the bus to report bad driving or speeding.
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User

thanka, i know that money is an issue, but you really should consider getting a cheap car. we paid only $9800 for our old toyota corolla. to licence/register for a year is about $3000 (if memory serves), the MOT (once per year) depends on what's wrong with the car, the petrol costs me about $600/week (but as you know, i drive A LOT!) if you are only using it once in a while, you could probably spread that full tank of gas out to an entire month.

the registration fee can be paid quarterly if you so choose (a little more expensive over the year, but means you don't need a large one-off payment). the insurance, because i have a no claim bonus is only about $2k/year.

i lived here for 12 years before i got a car. i must admit, it's not nearly as expensive as i thought it was going to be. (of course, i would love to have a better/nicer car, but so long as it gets me from point A to point B, i'm happy).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast