Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Public hospital First appointment vs private

andrea1971 is offline Registered User

Public hospital First appointment vs private

Hi all. I am now at 10 weeks and all is going well so far! I have made appointment with private clinic for 12 week ultrasound etc. But have been advised to alos make an appointment at public clinic to register for dleivery etc etc. Ive alos been told that the intial Down's test can be preformed at Public hospital (indeed the private OB advised me to do this, as same test but free!).
    So ive registered at POW today (lots of queing, but all very good) and theyve given me two appointment cards, one for 12 weeks Downs scan and one for later general visit.
    Now my confusion and hopefully some helo from you guys. My clinic told me that in addition to downs test, my first appointment at public hospital would involve other required tests. But my appointment card jusy says Downs synodrome Screening. So im worried, i dont speak cantonese, and the staff at hosital didnt understand my questions. Am i missing something? what tests do they do automatocally at first appointment? my clinic suggested they would do Rubella, Hep B, HIV etc, but doesnt say that on my form! Any help greatly appreciated from anyone whos had their first appointment at public hospital. thanks so much

Am i missing something? what test should I expect at public hospital first appintment

ozmerc is offline Registered User

Hi Andrea, my very first appointment at POW I was given all my appointment cards - downs screening (which I didn't want but they still made an appointment!), 20 weeks scan, follow up doc appointment and induction date (for overdue baby). They also sent me for my blood tests downstairs at the hospital on the day I registered. I haven't used the clinics because I'm also seeing a private OB.

thanks Ozmerc, thats interesting! they didnt send me downstairs for any tests when i registered, just gave me cards! i assumed all tests would be at first appointment! They did give me 20 week appointment card at least.

also Ozmerc, do you know what the blood tests were for? Thanks again

Hi again Andrea, I was given an info leaflet that stated blood would be test for the following: blood group including Rh factor, anaemia, rubella antibody, Hep B antibody, syphilis & HIV. If there are no issues they don't notify you of results. If you want a copy you have to request it. The only reason I can think of for why they did the test immediately is either because I told them I'm Rh negative blood type, or because I also let them know that I would be seeing a private OB for check-ups as opposed to using the MCHC clinic. So maybe they normally do the blood tests at the clinic and they wanted to get me while I was still there? I'm not sure.

RileyC is offline Registered User

The blood test results are also standard documents that must be submitted to the hospital at which you register to give birth irrespective of whether you're going public or private.
    Posted via Mobile Device

happiness is offline Registered User

I've registered with the POW also and cancelled the downs screening test not realising that there is an ultrasound also on the day - seems to all in the one. Luckily rescheduled after I discovered my mistake - was expecting one at the booking appointment in the clinic but didn't get it! They took bloods etc at the clinic for all the above but I think they take one at the downs screening too (i'm in the 2nd trimester so a little than 1st in testing)...
    Ozmerc - could I PM you about using a private OB while but delivering in POW - Im still floundering in regards to what are my options are!!!

Happiness - I'm still kind of up in the air. I registered at POW as a back-up option but I've been maintaining the important appointments there. I found an OB I like but have decided that I'll stick with POW if there are any complications resulting in the need for a c-sect. I'm not sure I can afford a c-sect in the private hospital! I'm also using POW for 'second opinions' - I have a couple of small things which still need to resolve in the next 4-6 weeks (breech, low-lying placenta) and it's good to know I don't have to completely rely on a private OB opinion as to whether I can give birth naturally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast