Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When did you start showing? Your naval pop?

Gracey is offline Registered User

I also generally chat and get along with taxi drivers. I had one b*stard coming home from a fertility treatment, but that was 6+ months ago -- he was grumpy having to cross the harbor and complained the whole time. But one or two rude incidents a year is pretty good for someone who is constantly commuting and cabbing around town.
    The other day, the mainland Chinese check-out lady at the 360 in Elements helped me carry my groceries all the way to the taxi stand! I gave her a tip.
    Sometimes my doormen are just spaced out. But if I ask politely, they will run and get the door for me or help me with bags.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    I also generally chat and get along with taxi drivers. I had one b*stard coming home from a fertility treatment, but that was 6+ months ago -- he was grumpy having to cross the harbor and complained the whole time. But one or two rude incidents a year is pretty good for someone who is constantly commuting and cabbing around town.
    The other day, the mainland Chinese check-out lady at the 360 in Elements helped me carry my groceries all the way to the taxi stand! I gave her a tip.
    Sometimes my doormen are just spaced out. But if I ask politely, they will run and get the door for me or help me with bags.
    I am realizing more and more that there are little enclaves in HK that operate totally differently. Were you actually IN Mainland China when you met the checkout lady or is she working here in HK? I have to say that ML China is much better--even for taxis.

You are so fortunate that your dealings with taxi drivers have been so mild. I am also a very chatty person (and speak decent Chinese) and usually talk with taxi drivers but I had a taxi driver literally try to run me over when I was 7 months pregnant because he was angry that I asked him to drive up the driveway to my house because I was exhausted--it took 30 more seconds of his time and he was SO ANGRY. When I got out he gunned the engine and nearly hit me. I had to jump behind a barricade to get away. I called the police.

About the same time my husband and I had several experiences in a row where the taxi driver was driving so erratically (as if they were high on drugs) and recklessly that at the soonest possible time we got out of the vehicle and literally ran to get out of the way so we wouldn't get hit by the driver.

I had a driver in Ma On Shan force me to get out of the car in the pouring rain because he realized the distance I wanted him to go wasn't "worth the money"--oh, did I mention that I was running a summer camp for at-risk secondary students and had a huge suitcase of academic supplies with me and that I had to stand at the taxi stand in the rain with no cover with no other taxis in sight in a part of Hong Kong that I'm not even familiar with?

My mother and her husband were visiting Hong Kong these past two weeks so they could meet her our new baby (7-weeks-old now) and spend time with our 3-year-old. We were in a taxi and when we got in my husband politely asked the driver in Cantonese if he wouldn't mind going a bit slower than usual as my 3-year-old wasn't feeling too well and we had a small baby with us. The taxi driver continued to take hairpin turns at about 60-70 km/hour--at night on a winding road that can be dangerous. My husband asked him again (my husband is very soft-spoken usually and polite) and the taxi driver was like "Uh, huh" but continued to drive like a maniac. My husband then asked him a third time and even a fourth! And by that time we were all shaking and we finally arrived home where my husband told the taxi driver that he had wanted to tip him but now wouldn't because he not only scared his parents-in-law but he put the safety of our children at risk. The taxi driver then was visibly frustrated.

So, I'm sorry, but in our case, it doesn't come down to "just be polite and tip and taxi drivers are generally good." My experience is that generally, taxi drivers are really horrible in this city and if you find a few good ones you feel really lucky.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Thanka -- you always make me laugh!
    The helpful lady was in HK. Elements is in West Kowloon. I've been here more than a decade, not counting summers here as a child. And I've never had the taxi trouble you've had. I don't know about enclaves. I'm all over the city. I live in Kowloon, work in Island East, spend much time in Central, and visit family from the NT to outlying islands. Maybe it's just luck that I generally get good service.
    We must have opposite experiences. I -- in fact, my entire extended family plus many HK Chinese friends -- get treated very badly on the Mainland. It's not just rudeness, it's actual illegal behavior, like cabbies using rigged meters to overcharge, threatening to throw people out of the car, trying to pick up strangers on the road to "double up" on jobs. I've been screamed at and insulted. I've had cabbies stop on the curb and storm out in a huff in an attempt to blackmail me for more money. As bad as HK is, the taxi industry is not so unregulated that this can happen -- at least not regularly.

But, as one of my good friends says, she gets "white lady privilege" in China. And we've seen again and again that Westerners are afforded better service on the Mainland, while the Chinese are perfectly happy to abuse or cheat other Chinese, particularly if you perceived as a snooty Hong Konger. They know that if a "foreign guest" complains about them, they will get in big trouble.

In Hong Kong, people are generally treated the same. If you have a grumpy, rude cabbie, he will be grumpy and rude to everyone!

Sigh. This is what I get for trying to start a "light" topic. Don't know how it became a serious discussion on rudeness...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    Thanka -- you always make me laugh!
    The helpful lady was in HK. Elements is in West Kowloon. I've been here more than a decade, not counting summers here as a child. And I've never had the taxi trouble you've had. I don't know about enclaves. I'm all over the city. I live in Kowloon, work in Island East, spend much time in Central, and visit family from the NT to outlying islands. Maybe it's just luck that I generally get good service.
    We must have opposite experiences. I -- in fact, my entire extended family plus many HK Chinese friends -- get treated very badly on the Mainland. It's not just rudeness, it's actual illegal behavior, like cabbies using rigged meters to overcharge, threatening to throw people out of the car, trying to pick up strangers on the road to "double up" on jobs. I've been screamed at and insulted. I've had cabbies stop on the curb and storm out in a huff in an attempt to blackmail me for more money. As bad as HK is, the taxi industry is not so unregulated that this can happen -- at least not regularly.

But, as one of my good friends says, she gets "white lady privilege" in China. And we've seen again and again that Westerners are afforded better service on the Mainland, while the Chinese are perfectly happy to abuse or cheat other Chinese, particularly if you perceived as a snooty Hong Konger. They know that if a "foreign guest" complains about them, they will get in big trouble.

In Hong Kong, people are generally treated the same. If you have a grumpy, rude cabbie, he will be grumpy and rude to everyone!

Sigh. This is what I get for trying to start a "light" topic. Don't know how it became a serious discussion on rudeness...
    Hmmm...interesting to know that my 7-week-old's life being put in danger could be funny. Yes, maybe you are lucky or maybe I am just very unlucky. I have seen a lot of dangerous behavior from drivers in HK. I have lived in HK for 9 years. Until we had children we didn't take taxis but now that we do it's even more important that drivers are careful.

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunes with cab drivers on the Mainland. One of the ML cities I lived in cab drivers were dangerous but they weren't malicious (the cab drivers there were drinking large amounts of bai jiu so they were nearly always a bit drunk--but hey, it was really cold and winter, right?). I spent most of my time with local Chinese people and they never had a problem with the drivers. Drivers were actually very good-natured. One cold, snowy night I was having a hard time getting a taxi and one pulled up that already had passengers but invited me to ride along and then didn't make me pay a fee--this also happened for some of my Chinese friends. I guess "The Mainland" can't be really clumped together into one category either as there are many different cities with different ways of doing things. I guess if you only travel to some of the bigger cities like Shanghai (not my favorite ML city for sure) you'll probably run into a lot of rudeness. In Beijing, I found that taxi drivers were always trying to trick me but I was just on my toes and through good-natured joking got along just fine. My Hong Kong friends came to visit and they also never had problems with the drivers. So, maybe the luck you've had on the Mainland is exactly the luck I've had here in HK. My experience with Mainlanders (except for a few cities) is that they are much more laid back so hence not in such a hurry.

I think the topic went this way because we were talking about getting seats on the MTR as a pregnant woman which you'd think would be directly related to how pregnant you look (which, if I'm not mistaken, I think was the title of your original post).
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Biggie is offline Registered User

My belly button didn't pop but has turned brown. Also got a brown vertical line from button down, which is still here 4 mth after baby was born!
    I gained about 12kg at the end. Still trying to lose the last 5....
    Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Biggie, I think everyone gets that brown line, though mine is still pretty faint. It's called the Linea Negra. I'm sure it'll go away with time.
    12 kg is not bad at all. Give yourself time for the weight loss. Are you breast feeding?
    I'll probably end up gaining more than you. I'm only 24 weeks and already 7 kg heavier.

happiness is offline Registered User

Wink

My experience is that generally, taxi drivers are really horrible in this city and if you find a few good ones you feel really lucky.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya!!! Our experience has been largely negative with taxi drivers - often scary!! Particularly going on short trips...... Also I have NEVER been offered a seat on the MTR - 5 months pregnant and obvious at this stage..Im going to get brave and start asking for a seat.... LOVE the rudeness cards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12