Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Uh, oh! Cycle returned early and still Breastfeeding. Help.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Thanks jvn! I was starting to wonder if I should do a HPT, lol!

thanka2 is offline Registered User

No, I'm the "weird one" because my cycle returns right after I give birth even though I'm breastfeeding exclusively--I think it's much more common for women to not have a period for almost the duration of their breastfeeding--or at least until their child starts solids.

It's totally normal not to have a period until you stop breastfeeding and sometimes a long time afterward.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I've known people who have been both extremes. With my first, I exclusively breastfed and my period returned when she was 6 months old. I didn't notice any supply issues - but it was right around the time when she started solids so she would have started drinking less milk regardless. I continued to breastfeed her until she was 15 months old - and in that time, I fell pregnant, had a miscarriage then fell pregnant again. I weaned her when I was about 3-4 months pregnant with my 2nd daughter. I did notice some supply issues at the end, but pregnancy also does that. I think that she self-weaned because my milk was drying up anyway.

With my 2nd, I'm exclusively pumping and have not got my period back yet, she is 10 months old. I keep expecting it back since I thought it would have come when she was 6 months or so too. Or I could be 4 months pregnant and not know it ;) haha (I hope not!!!). Through an exclusive pumping group that I'm part of, I have heard that many women have supply issues when they get their cycle back. They say that their supply goes up around the middle of the cycle and then drops back down when they are having their period. Some of them swear by domperidone. I'm not sure if/where you can get domperidone in HK but if you have supply issues but still need to maintain supply, that's what works for most of them. I haven't tried it personally though...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Mine came back at 6 months and then it was the beginning of the end for my self-weaning son, completely finished by 12 months. Not only did my supply drop, but it took forever to let down and that irritated my son. I'm hoping with my daughter, now 4 months, things will go better.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Well, originally when I posted I figured my cycle was back but I didn't have a normal period. I basically had two days of spotting. But, I could definitely feel the hormonal flux. I hadn't had any emotional ups or downs really since giving birth--I was on a very nice hormonal high, actually and that all came crashing down right at the same I had that spotting. I went for my 8-week post-partum checkup and tipped the scales on the PPD questionnaire. Arrrrghhh, hormones!

So, I'm still breastfeeding and pumping but my daughter has started sucking 6-7 ounces of milk down at a feeding while I'm not home so I feel pressure to produce more milk as I'm falling behind. I think I have to go to pumping every 2 hours whether I like it or not to try to up the supply. I've been drinking Mother's Milk tea a lot and that helps a little but I can definitely feel the change.

I am not so sure domperidone would even be an option for me. Since it interferes with dopamine production I'm guessing that it might make PPD even worse. I was just reading about it here: http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/domperidone.shtml

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

When I DID have my period after my first daughter, it was always very irregular and very light...

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

Thanka, Mother's tea is good for maintaining a supply, but might not give you the boost you are looking for. Why don't you try strictly fennel seed tea?

I always found that eating oatmeal boosted my supply by about 10-15%...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast