Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Air con - overnight?

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    Any idea where I can get a baby friendly humidifier? How do you cope with the dryness of the aircon?
    We have an air purifier in our daughters and our room that has a water tank included. You have the option of either just clean air or clean air and humidify. Seems to make the air less dry when running the air con. I definitely notice a difference if I wake up and find the tank has run out over night. (seems to last about 2 nights at the moment). We only have the smallest one for each bedroom.

Its a Sharp Plasmacluster can't remember how much they are sorry but pretty sure we got it from Fortress. We purchased them almost 3 years ago when my daughter was born so hopefully they still have them.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

My Chinese MIL is against the aircon, but it's inhumane to sleep without it!!! We all have it on at night (except my MIL).
    As long as it's not blowing straight at the baby, all good!

Louiseamanda is offline Registered User

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    There is no evidence that Aircons (or cold air) causes Neuralgia:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002380/

Cold air can make it more painful for those who suffer from it, but certainly this serious problem is not caused by Aircons.
    Hi
    Thanks for the link, but not everything is evidence-based.
    I am not a neuralgia sufferer either but I if you have cold air jetting on your scalp (or other exposed parts of the body during the night) you can get a feeling of sensitivity of the skin of the scalp. I have experienced this.

I think its certain (maybe this is also not evidence-based) that the aircon overnight causes a variety of blocked or runny nose and skin dryness. Maybe due to stuffiness of the air/poor air quality.

These symptoms in my daughter disappear in other climates.

We also have air filters in each bedroom (shop in Des Voeux road) and a sort of ioniser (we got that 'free' somehow so why not!

The evidence is now saying regarding asthma, that control of house dust mites (and hence,dust) does not affect symptoms much, but try telling that to an allergic asthmatic.

catan is offline Registered User

I try not to use ac in the daytime, as baby seems to sleep better in just thin clothes without ac. It seems to me ac cause health problems like allergies, stuffy nose, cramps, etc (for me), but it's too hot nowadays to go without. We always use it at night, the mosquitoes are too bothersome.

greenmama is offline Registered User

We definitely leave the ac on all night. Way too hot without it and mosquitos are a problem if we open the windows.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Louiseamanda View Post
    Hi Thanks for the link, but not everything is evidence-based.
    Thats a very strange comment. When it comes to medical matters, how do you propose doing diagnosis and treatment if not based on evidence?
    Surely you are not talking about faith and other quack non scientific methods, or are you?

I am not a neuralgia sufferer either but I if you have cold air jetting on your scalp (or other exposed parts of the body during the night) you can get a feeling of sensitivity of the skin of the scalp. I have experienced this.
    I think its certain (maybe this is also not evidence-based) that the aircon overnight causes a variety of blocked or runny nose and skin dryness. Maybe due to stuffiness of the air/poor air quality.
    You are describing some minor issues with Aircons which are all possible; this has been shown and proven to be the case.
    Making the leap into a very serious issue such as Neuralgia is baseless.

southside852 is offline Registered User

yes, like those posted above, we use a/c almost ALL the time and especially while sleeping. Our boys sleep with it during afternoon and night sleeps - we cannot live without it! I definitely prefer being wrapped up all in our blankets at night.

eddas1117 is offline Banned

yes i've used for my baby, if there is no air con, her skin will be itchy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234