Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby getting sick post feeding

chuckles is offline Registered User

baby getting sick post feeding

Hi, is it normal for babies to get sick after every feeding? I am b/feeding exclusively and i am worried that after all the effort of feeding for 20 mins or so that alot of it comes back up. Baby is 3 weeks now.. thanks

carang is offline Registered User

your baby is probably feeding too much. they have VERY small stomachs and cannot hold much. also, it will look like a lot to you, but in actual fact it isn't too much that he is vomitting up.

Biggie is offline Registered User

I also think maybe baby is having too much milk. try shorter feed, or express a bit before you feed so the flow is not so fast.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Too much? When my baby was 3 weeks old he took much longer to feed (like 1 hour)!.. .

I don't think 20 minutes would be too long, as babies drink much slower at that age... they would stop when they are full. Also they sometime fall asleep while sucking, making the feeding much longer.

I think if you baby spit lot of the milk, you might try burping him/her between and after the feed.

ozmerc is offline Registered User

My baby and my older son are/were the same. It's normal and harmless so unless he is showing some signs of distress, keep on feeding and don't worry about it. My baby brings up milk almost every time I sit him up for a burp. It seems like a lot but it's really not. I think in the early days it's just baby adjusting to your supply (or vice versa).

My older one was the same and it continued until about 5-6 months. Kind of a pain because everything you own gets covered in regurgitated milk, but it's not harmful in any way.

chuckles is offline Registered User

Thank you so much for your replies as i was getting a little worried.. and yes i and everything else is getting covered in milk!

carang is offline Registered User

yes, gataloca, some babies are efficient feeders from the time they are born. my daughter was. by the time she was 3 months old, her feeds only lasted 5-10 minutes.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User

At 3 weeks, I remember my lactation consultant (in the USA) said breastfeed each side 15 minutes, so total 30 minutes. Because the hind milk is fattier and more nutritious than the earlier waterier/sweeter milk. If your baby is throwing up after every feeding maybe it's a gas or stomach problem.., in which case you should see your doctor... Good luck, and I hope your problem is solved soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast