Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How do you keep your toddlers busy on HOT days?

sarahkatie is offline Registered User

How do you keep your toddlers busy on HOT days?

I have a few regular activities to keep my 14 month old twins occupied....but I'm struggling! I live in Causeway Bay, so most of my things are in or around CWB.

1. Wise Kids in CWB - this is good but a bit expensive (for two kids) to go all the time
    2. Pacific Place / Times Square / Lee Gardens 2. I can keep the boys occupied for a while going up and down escalators :-)
    3. They go to summer school at Woodland Happy Valley
    4. We have been going to My Kiddy Gym, which is fantastic but we're on a break for the duration of summer school
    5. Swimming at the SCAA

The park is too hot, the racecourse is too hot, walks anywhere are too hot...I am thinking of trying the public playroom in Happy Valley, any advice? The playroom at Central Library must be booked 7 days in advance, and gets very crowded. Unfortunately I have no club memberships.

Any other ideas to keep them busy?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Similar thread here:
    http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread153001.html

There are quite a few indoor playgrounds on the Island along with many different pools.

SCAA is quite boring. Hop on the 8X and try the Chai Wan swimming pool.
    If you want even more variety (further afield), then I would reccomend Hammer Hill (indoor and outdoor) as well as SaiKung and TsingYi (outdoor only) pools.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If you want to go to the playroom at Central library, often what I do is decide that morning and go (or ask my helper to go) and get a waitlist ticket. There are ALWAYS people who don't show up and you can generally get in if you are early enough on the waitlist. One time, we were 14th on the waitlist. They only allow 40 people inside, so I thought we probably wouldn't get in - but we were at the library anyway so I thought why not. We put our name down at about 4:20 for the 5pm slot and we still got in. That means that at LEAST 15+ out of the 40 people who booked did not show up. If you are first or second on the waitlist, you can almost definitely get in.

Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    There are quite a few indoor playgrounds on the Island along with many different pools.

SCAA is quite boring. Hop on the 8X and try the Chai Wan swimming pool.
    If you want even more variety (further afield), then I would reccomend Hammer Hill (indoor and outdoor) as well as SaiKung and TsingYi (outdoor only) pools.
    We also recently tried the public pool at Sai Wan Ho and my daughter loved it. It is indoors and quite shallow with slides into the water and a big tire swing over the water. There was a big cubby house thing, although it was closed for maintenance when were there. After we went there, my daughter keeps asking to go back "to the duck pool" and complaining if we take her to our boring swimming pool at our apartment complex. I have seen pics of the Chai Wan pool and it looks great - and I have seen the Tsing Yi one out the window of the Airport Express train and it looks fantastic too :)

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Never tried SaiWanHo - from pictures I've seen it had looked boring, so we skipped it. I will give it a try with the kids. We love trying different pools on different weeks.

Since your's likes this, then I would steer you over to Hammer Hill. AFAIK, it is the best in Hong Kong for kids. Indoor & Outdoor, 6 (or 7) different play areas along with a couple of ships, bridges and all manner of floting and spraying things to keep kids busy and happy : http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/beach/en/swim-address-wts.php
    One small caution : it does get busy and if you dont get there in time, you may have to wait and queue outside. If this happens to you, then just hop on the nearby minibus and get to SaiKung.

I think that for older kids, Sai Wan Ho might be boring - but for my 2.5 year old it was great. The first time we went, there was a long queue outside so we went home instead but the 2nd time we tried, we went early and didn't have to wait. By the time we left though, there was also a long queue outside.

bonita is offline Registered User

Kiddy Village in Kornhill: $70 for an all day pass