Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are there any major complications to induction?

Gracey is offline Registered User

In Canada, and many Western European countries, they only induce "late" babies at about 42 weeks. The due date is only a rough estimate. It's not like a baby that is 40 weeks and 2 days is really much later.

I think in HK doctors are just too eager to medicalize everything. I've heard of HK mothers who wanted natural births, but were frightened into C-sections / inductions because their babies were too big. But their babies ended up at very normal weights, like 7 lbs.

catan is offline Registered User

At my appointment one day before my due date, my obgyn said she can induce me if I wanted, because from that point on it was a 'waiting game.' I was only 1cm dilated but she said cervix was ripe for induction. I said I would think about it. The baby came on her own less than 24 hours later.

Also, the ultrasound measured my baby to be over 8.5lbs at that point, and my baby was only 7 lbs at birth.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

would agree with nicolejoy - my first babies head was SO big i should have either been induced / had a c-section but my doc was on "holiday" and the substitute doctor "asked me" if I wanted an induction - and being my 1st baby, i had not planned on my doc not being there as i told her "do anything necessary to ensure that my baby is fine" - when you are lying there on the bed trying to push, at least with me, all i could remember was the prenatal classes i took that told me all the negatives of induction and so of course i said NO to the induction- in the end my baby was in NICU for 10 days at QMH though she was born at Matilda, and was on a life saving machine for 3 of those days as critical....what i just want to make sure is that you tell the doctor that if "induction" is best then do it - of course, do more research, but when you're in labour you have a tendency to forget - let your husband know, write it down on your birth so you don't have to be asked when you are not in the right frame of mind.

ssheng is offline Registered User

To answer your question I labored for 7 hours after induction, and the epidural probably wore off at some point but they topped it off as they said it should wear off by the time it was ready to push, and it didn't. :P Sounds like other people labored 6 hours from induction, so that's a similar time frame. It took me longer I think to push the baby out due to the fact that I couldn't feel the contractions due to the overdose of epidural. My doc induced me because my waters had broken prematurely during the pelvic exam, and they worry about infection if you don't go into labor naturally after that, which I didn't.

shakeshack is offline Registered User

THanks all for the helpful replies. The Dr said the main reason for recommending induction is although baby's head is average, relative to my pre-pregnancy 107 LB 5'2" frame, going past 41 weeks might be tough if baby's head gets bigger. Last 3 weekly appts and no more growth in the size of baby's head or weight and the weight estimate now is 3.2 KG w/c i think i can manage. Also he mentioned meconium as a possible risk if the baby stays longer than 41 wks. We are scheduled to induce at 40.5 wks, but I DO fear an emerg C and would rather wait if we are not yet ready.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If you would rather wait, then refuse the induction - or schedule it more like at 42 weeks when they do it in many other countries. 40.5 weeks isn't "overdue" by hardly anyone's definition!! Of course if that's what you want, then by all means go ahead and do it. I'm just saying this because in your post, you sound like you would rather not induce at 40.5 weeks, even though it's been scheduled...

Gracey is offline Registered User

3.2 kg is a totally average 7-lb baby. and 5'2" / 107 lbs is not particularly small for a HK woman.
    .5 weeks sounds ridiculous. what's that? 3.5 days?
    did you ask him why he doesn't do it at 41 / 41.5 / 42 weeks? is it for a dire medical emergency? or just scheduling convenience / being overly cautious?
    just curious -- are you at public or private?

bridiemexico is offline Registered User

Saw this article today and thought it might be of interest to you. As the other posters said, unless medically necessary (not baby might be too big) you should try to avoid an induction.
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/steep...715-1hhtp.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast