Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Taking too much folic acids?

slin is offline Registered User

Taking too much folic acids?

Hi all,

Is 800mcg folic acid too much for 5 week pregnancy? I just got the good news early this week and my GP recommended folic acids while i wait for my appointment with a gynecologist. He recommended 400mcg whilst the lady in GNC said 800mcg is better for the first trimester. Any idea?

I tried to set an appt with my gynaecologies but the nurse advised me to come after the 7th week. Should i take any other supplements at the meantime?

Any advise is welcome. Many thanks =)

Last edited by slin; 07-15-2011 at 11:05 PM.

missidealiste is offline Registered User

It depends which country standard. In Canada its 400-1000 mcg. My Gf who got health issue was prescribed 5000mcg a day. 800mcg is not overdose. You don't need to worry. But of course, pls consult your doctor as i don't know your medical history.

miran is offline Registered User

Pls get appt with another gynac. I took 400 mg. But only a doctor can advise best

KeHK is offline Registered User

My doc recommended Materna for when I was pregnant. It's a prenatal multivitamin which contains many different vitamins (incl. 1mg folic acid) as well as minerals (iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc.). You can get it at Watsons without prescription.
    Many pregnant women have a low iron level, so it's usually recommended to take iron supplements. I wouldn't worry too much though, once you've had your first appointment with your gynaecologist, he/she will tell you what supplements to take.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Unless you've got any specific medical issues an over the counter pregnancy vitamin will be fine, whatever the amount of folic acid - as previous posters have said the advice in different countries is different which is all the evidence I need that they don't know how much you should have!

Materna, pregnacare, elevit (sp?) are all good brands, just buy one and take as directed - there's no need to worry about the specifics.

RileyC is offline Registered User

I would recommend taking your GP's advice over the sales assistant's advice in GNC. The sales assistant is not a trained medical professional.
    Posted via Mobile Device

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Good point RileyC, I didn't register who gave the second piece of advice, do you think GNC coincidentally had a special on 800mcg supplements running at the time? Definitely a doctor over a sales woman - especially in a shop that only sells one brand, they are always going to say theirs is best.

Portia is offline Registered User

Folic acid is water soluble, so if you take too much your body will flush it out. The vitamin to be careful of is vitamin A (in some forms) which can cause birth defects if you take too much. That's why it's better to take a maternity vitamin like Materna. As for the folic acid, 400 mcg is the minimum for preventing neural tube defect (like spina bifida). My OB prescribed 5000 mcg per day and my family has no history of neural tube defects or any other health issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast