Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

QEH or UCH recent experiences?

expatmom2b is offline Registered User

QEH or UCH recent experiences?

Hi all!

Does anyone have any recent experiences to share regarding Queen Elizabeth Hospital or United Christian Hospital? I've seen some old posts, but nothing new. Please PM me if you don't want to post but are willing to share.

Also, does anyone know how strict they are these days about the MCHC that you attend and the hospital that it feeds into? My closest MCHC would be Tseung Kwan O (which feeds into QEH or UCH), but I've read a lot of posts of women who went there but delivered at Prince of Wales. Any recent experiences with this?

Thanks so much!

charade is offline Registered User

I delivered in UCH in November last here and posted my experience here (http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread148317.html). I don't think that much would have changed since then. Overall, it was not a BAD experience, especially considering the cost (zero).

I am actually pregnant again and this time have decided to go private (unless dire financial emergency prevents it). Mainly because: 1. I have become pregnant (unplanned) so soon after my last pregnancy and I feel I want to be a little more pampered. 2. There was some miscommunication over the epidural and I am determined to have an epidural (or at least the guaranteed option of it) this time. 3. The doctor who was on call the day I delivered was horrible and I might kill her if I see her again. However, I only saw her thrice for a very limited time (thank god!) during the entire process so that is probably not something for you to worry about. The midwives who actually delivered the baby are excellent.

If you have any specific questions about delivering in UCH, feel free to ask. One thing that I would keep in mind having read a thread about QeH (or was it PoW, I always confuse the two) not allowing dads in for the delivery. I would verify this first before making a choice but if this is the case, I would definitely go with UCH as having my hsuband there was a huge help. Also, the bigger hospitals have bigger wards. In UCH there were six beds in each walled off area which is nicer.

jodymo is offline Registered User

Expatmom2b: I'm in TKO too. Is the clinic now at TKO hospital, or Hang Hau?

Charade: Does UCH have any semi-private rooms? I delivered at Pamela Youde last time, which did, and when I stayed there were just two of us, which was great. Any option for the same at UCH?

mazamarie is offline Registered User

jodymo -
    I don't think UCH has any semi private rooms like Pamela Youde. I live in Clearwater Bay and I am delivering at Pamela Youde because there is a chance I may be able to get the Special Accomodation Ward which would be great especially with the visiting hours being all day so hubby can be with us more. They didn't even seem worried that I wasn't in zone. They just said you live in Clearwater Bay and you want to deliver here? I said yes and that was that.

Also I do all my check ups at the hospital and I am normally in and out within the hour. I think the longest time I was there was 1 hour 10 mins. I had my check ups for my first child at the MCHC in Hang Hau and I was lucky if I was out after 2 hours. I find that I can leave the house and be back before I would have finished at Hang Hau which is only 10 mins from home. (I do have a car though so a bit quicker)

expatmom2b
    In regards to your question about which MCHC -they changed the rules about 3 years ago that if you where delivering at POW you could not do your check ups at Tseung Kwan O it had to be at Ma On Shan. I was lucky as I was already registered with them when they changed the rules so didn't need to head to Ma On Shan thank goodness.

charade is offline Registered User

Jodymo, the clinic for those living in the Tseung Kwan O area is Hang Hau. However, for some women, they would refer you to Tseung Kwan O hospital for appointments. However, you cannot deliver at TKO hospital - for delivery you go to UCH. UCH doesn't have the semi-private option. I asked them when I delivered there.

jodymo is offline Registered User

Thanks for the clarifications...Mazamarie, I think i'll stick to PY if they'll let me. Apart from a mean doctor I had a good experience there last time. Fingers crossed for you getting the room x