Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What to do...

aw222 is offline Registered User

What to do...

Hi moms! My baby is almost 8 months now and he cries whenever a new person tries to hold him or play with him. He also cries when he sees other babies! Any idea how to teach him to be a friendlier baby? aaaahhhh

carang is offline Registered User

just keep exposing him to the opportunity. eventually, he'll see it's all ok. maybe take him down to the playground, out to restaurants etc. just to expose him to other people/kids.... maybe start an informal playgroup in your area where you meet at various homes once or twice per week etc.

Biggie is offline Registered User

My 8 mth old baby cries when new person holds him too. He would smile at stranger at a distance, but if he gets too close he would cry. I consider that his natural defense against strangers which is fine. Let the baby warm up with the person for a little while and then he is usually okay.
    Posted via Mobile Device

meimeid is offline Registered User

I wouldn't worry. Babies go through different phases during their social emotional development. Around 8 months they tend to dislike strangers, in theory this could last for several months, but is of course different with every child. Should go away as they develop further.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I think Carang's idea is a good one. My usually smiley, lovely baby, started getting stranger anxiety at about 7 months. Most unlike him, he would cry whenever anybody new talked to him. This started just before we went on a holiday with 14 relatives who he didn't really know and I was dreading he would be upset the whole time, but you know, when he was immersed into this situation with so many new faces he got over the anxiety really quickly and has been fine ever since. More exposure helps I think.

Scroll to top