Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby story books in Tagalog - ??

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Baby story books in Tagalog - ??

Does anyone know where I can buy story books in Tagalog? On the occasions my helper puts my baby to bed I'd like her to read to him in her own language, so that he can experience different languages, but I can't find any books in any of the stores I've been to.

Has anybody seen any or have any ideas for getting any?

plumtree is offline Registered User

Hi we had the same idea. Unfortunately, we could not find any in Hong Kong so we asked our helper to buy some when she went back to the Philippines on holiday. Good luck!

kacoak is offline Registered User

Wonder if the HK public library has them? I tried looking up Indonesian books (my helper is Indonesian) via their online catalogue but I don't know how to search for it. You may want to call them directly and inquire.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

To the best of my knowledge, there are no tagalog storybooks for babies, even in the Philippines. For toddlers yes. However I doubt they have it here in Hong Kong. Your best best, as Plumtree suggested, would be to ask your helper to buy for you when she goes home. The best bookstores are National Bookstore or Fully Booked. Books from Adarna or Lampara publishing are the well known ones. Again, these are books more suitable for 3 onwards and even then, some are a bit too heavy on folklore, legends etc that I felt were too much for young kids.

I will be travelling to Manila in November and can get some for you if you are really interested. I'm always on the lookout for good (read: age appropriate) books for my kids.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Hi Newbie_hk. I found some from a website called Mother Tongue Books. Bilingual. They don't have a huge selection but enough for what I need. Thanks for your offer though.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Thanks Licorice. Excellent find!!!

mamaber is offline Registered User

Check out adarna.com.ph - it appears that they do ship to hong kong. I purchased a number of their books in Manila earlier this year and all of them contain bilingual text (Filipino and English) and the subjects are diverse, not all of them about Filipino folklore and legends, though definitely infused with bits of Philippine culture.
    Posted via Mobile Device