Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Post Natal Soups

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Post Natal Soups

Hi -

My friend who is due next month asked me to write a list of Chinese soups she can have her helper make to help her recuperate after child birth. I was hoping you could give me ideas for me to pass onto her ....all I know is fish and papaya soup.

Thanks!

kacoak is offline Registered User

Hi, my mil made me fish soup as well (unfortunately I don't know the fish name, only know it's black, smooth and have TONS of tiny bones making the fish itself almost impossible to eat without plenty of patience). Green papaya soup is supposedly good for breast milk production. Also chicken soup is good - but the chicken has to be alive and slaughtered as you buy it.

Disclaimer: I am merely repeating what I heard from my mil, and the above are what she made me eat post natal. I don't know of any scientific evidence of any type of food to be breast milk producing, for example.

My mom also made me drink this concoction made of some chinese red wine and chicken broth (broth also best steamed out of fresh chicken). I can't tell you the name of the wine but perhaps others may know... warning though, this stuff tastes terrible.

trttrt is offline Registered User

Hi lesliefu, found a website for you and there are more than ten types of soups listed with recipes! http://www.thechinesesouplady.com/confinement-soups/
    Kocoak, think the fish used by your mil is grass carp.:)

inkmink is offline Registered User

I learned from my c-nanny that it is important to know if your friend is having c-sect or natural delivery. Also if she is planning to breast feed or using formula. I'm just going to assume she is having natural and will be breast feeding.

First 2 weeks, eat naturally ie no super strong nutritional stuff. Start taking super strong nutritious soup from Day 20 to day 30. For best body absorption take 2-3 days of strong nutritional soup (Chinese herbs eg. Cordyceps), then next 2-3 days less strong nutritional soup (eg. abalone/conch/papaya soup). So, the body have a better chance to absorb the nutrients.

Papaya soup is well-known to increase milk production. However, a super strong ingredient which can be bought from chinese herbal shop, looks like Polo sweet but light (sorry, forgot the name!) can be added to the soup and it can increase the milk even quicker.

Strong nutritional soup - Korean Ginseng (Ko Lay Sum) soup or Cordycep soup.
    Super strong nutritional soup - Velvet (Lok yung) soup. This is for blood circulation.
    Less strong nutritional soup - Papaya and fish soup, turtle soup (Sui Yi), Chicken essence, Chicken soup, Lamb soup, Shark Cartilage soup, Fish maw soup, Lingzhi soup.

kacoak is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by trttrt View Post
    Hi lesliefu, found a website for you and there are more than ten types of soups listed with recipes! http://www.thechinesesouplady.com/confinement-soups/
    Kocoak, think the fish used by your mil is grass carp.:)
    This is a great link - thanks! I've been wanting to learn how to make more chinese soup, and this website is perfect. Thanks!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations and the website! Yes, my friend is having a natural birth and planning on breast feeding...really great stuff guys! Appreciate all of your time!