Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to pack in our container?

whendg is offline Registered User

What to pack in our container?

Hello all! Well after three months of "negotiations" with my husband's company we have decided to head to HK! We are nervous, excited, anxious, and overwhlemed (to say the least). But I think taking it one step at a time we'll do great!
    I am sure I will have other inquiries and questions I will be posting, but for now the thing that keeps going through my head is what to pack in our container? (I believe it will be a 20' container.) We have a moving assistance group who I am sure will have some suggestions, but I thought hearing some ideas from moms (and dads) would be better.
    I do know we are planning living in DB, if that helps. Things I keep thinking about are items for my son (he is 3). Toys, any specific clothing that is hard to get (or super pricey in HK), food items, etc.? Bikes? Jogging stroller?
    Any thoughts or suggestions of things you wish you'd brought when you moved, anything of that sort is appreciated!

Thanks!

alfa is offline Registered User

Everything here seemsto cost more so if you have space I would bring clothes, shoes, bike etc. Stroller too if you are using one. Living in DB you will be able to use a jogging one but for trips to central Maclaren quest or volvo will be better. As for food you can buy most of stuff at price so if you have any favourites just send it over. For example I always bring low sodium stock cubes from the UK as I find it hard to get them. Hong Kong is very well stocked but you will get a heart attack in most @western upmarket@ supermarkets like Great or City Super.
    Also clothes for yourself - there are high street shops but again they tend to be a bit more expensive than back in Europe.Cereals/formula/baby equpment definetely costs more

Biggie is offline Registered User

Remember containers tend to arrive several weeks after you so if i might pack favorite toys in air freight or luggage.
    Posted via Mobile Device

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

We came with a 20 feet container and basically brought (almost) all our furniture (for 3 kids), left some pieces, some boxes and outdoor stuff behind and I came quite "lean" in terms of stuff and bulky toys. If they're not paying for getting stuff for your house here, I would basically pack up most of it, and bring it. A 20 feet container will take a lot more than just toys, clothes and a stroller.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by alfa View Post
    Everything here seems to cost more
    huh? i would have said exactly the opposite. leave most of the stuff and home and buy here

carang is offline Registered User

depends on what those things are:

larger "baby" items are much more expensive here and have far less variety (strollers, exersaucers etc). children's bikes are also MUCH more expensive here (as a matter of fact, my mum bought bikes for my kids in canada and we brought them back with us on our last trip as luggage).

LIttle Tikes stuff is also MUCH more expensive here.... a little tikes race car bed (single size) here is about $5000HKD ($800-ish USD), in the US it is about $200USD ($1500HKD)! that is a massive difference! the selection here also is much smaller for their outdoor toys. i guess not enough people have gardens here, so prices are higher.

i would bring a GOOD gas bbq, if you will have a buget that allows an outdoor area of some kind.

i would pack (if possible) dry goods, too. favourite cereals, canned food, convenient foods, favourite junk food, chocolate etc... i don't know if they allow that or not....

kids' clothes here are cheap if you go to the markets, so i wouldn't worry about those... but if you are using cloth diapers, you may want to pack a bunch of those....

Quote Originally Posted by matemate View Post
    huh? i would have said exactly the opposite. leave most of the stuff and home and buy here
    Well just to give you an example - my Maclaren cost 500 HKD more than at home, all the mothercare stuff is about 20% more not to mention nappies, baby food, cereals etc. But then again maybe you shop somewhere I don't know about so please share it would be very useful.

And yes I know about the markets unfortunatelly they don't sell toys/furniture/prams etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast