Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sleep after night feed disturbed

mavislohsp is offline Registered User

Sleep after night feed disturbed

Hi,

My LO is 5 months 4 days now. Normally I will wake him up around 10.30pm to give him a night feed and after he finished I will put him back to his cot to cont. His sleep. It used to be fine until lately he will stay awake till 2am, ie, awake from 10.30pm to 2am.

I really do not know what has caused this. Should I not wake him up for the night feed? Any advice are appreciated. Thanks!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Why are you waking him? It's not recommended to wake babies unless they are having difficulty gaining weight. It is apparent that your current situation is not working though, so even if you DO need to wake him, it's probably not the right time to do it at 10:30pm... either earlier or later might work better... I would try not waking him (or if you have to wake him for medical reasons, I'd adjust the time) and see what happens.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

I have the same question too: why are you waking up your baby? My bub is just a month younger than yours & I don't wake her up for a nightfeed or dreamfeed. She sleeps during the dreamfeed around 11 and that lasts perhaps 5 mins or so then I put her back in her cot. She doesn't wake till 6 am.

I'd keep the baby asleep.

I am a first time mom and I am actually followed the routine recommanded by Gina Ford, it did worked for him for the past few months, but seems like it doesn't recommanded from above advices. Pardon me if this seems like a stupid question to you, my baby normally sleep for the night around 6pm-7pm, so do I let him sleep until he wake up and cry for milk? Do you normally change diapers for your baby for the dreamfeed?

aussie mum is offline Registered User

The late feed (10.30pm) worked great for my eldest. He would then sleep thru til after 7am. It didn't work at all for my middle child. He would wake more in the night if I tried to wake him for that feed. I stopped waking him and what do you know, he slept 7 til 7.
    I didnt bother trying the late feed with my youngest. He never needed it and I would have had to wake myself up to feed him at 10.30! Much easier to let sleeping babies lie.

Really aussie mum?! Is your middle child about about 5-6 months old when they sleep through 7-7 ? It would be great if that happen to my lil one.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

really wouldn't recommend waking your baby up for a feed - when i had a midnight feed it was always when my baby was sleeping...it's second nature to suck when I gave them milk, they would drink their 12mn feeding basically asleep - cause like you say, Gina Ford recommended it, and I followed. soon enough though i thought i wanted to try skipping it to see if they would wake up and how long the last feeding (9pm)would last...experimental :) ....to my surprise neither of my 2 babies woke up for the 12mn feeding and by 3mths my 1st slept through, and 6mths my 2nd one slept through - by slept through i mean 10 hours solid - 9-7 / 8am.

actually if you're tracking the milk intake and the amount of hours slept during the day / during the night, you will get an idea how much milk your baby will need during the day in order to sleep through the night (if he's done it once before)...from here you can kind of judge whether or not your LO is full or very likely to wake up - or you could try to increase his last milk intake if he's been a bad drinker during the day....hope you get what i'm saying here...sounds a bit repetitive...sorry! :)

also RE the changing diapers, i only change if there is a need to, and i do it ever so quietly so as not to wake up my baby (#3 now) cause i don't want diaper rash, that's all.

wow! This is really encouraging, I shall try not to wake my baby tonight and see if he will sleep through the night, thanks everyone!