Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Problems booking a private hospital for delivery March 2012

mummymoo is offline Registered User

I attended the QMH private and was told by my obs that she did not guarantee that she would be there to deliver me as I was having a natural delivery and naturally it could come at any time. She was very forthcoming about this, I would be delivered by a very senior O&G doctor if she could not be there. For this reason and a few others I decided to go private via the private hospital.
    The other reasons were the checkin was on the public ward and any induction ect would be done on the public ward K9 South (one friend of ours went through this process so we know), then off to the labour wards which are the public labour wards. Only after the birth are you brought down to K6 North where you definitely get your private/ semi private room for the 3-5 days post delivery. For the exhorbitant amount that you are paying (= matilda, sanatorium, adventist), it seemed to me at any rate that I'd just go to the fully private hospitals.
    katyhuk at any rate, call whichever hospital you decide to go with to confirm the details. Goodluck.

meimeid is offline Registered User

That's great Katy. It will probably turn out all right. Good luck!

@mummymoo: my OB at QMH said he would be there at any time of day, but I delivered on a week day. I was admitted at the hospital because of possible pre-eclampsia beforehand and he dropped by on a Sunday even when he wasn't on duty. I also checked in at K6S directly, needn't go to K9, except of course during active labour and induction.

But I agree that for the amount you pay you probably want to go to a private hospital. Though, I arrived much later and didn't have that much choice anymore.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

If you could have had pre-eclampsia you would have been better off at QMH.

My girlfriend (who is a doctor) had to be checked in at K9S where she was induced, then as she progressed she went to the labour ward, then after the baby was born she went to K6N. Obviously the care may depend on the doctor engaged? You obviously had a better experience than I did but I only attended 2 appointments before I made the call that the set up wasn't for me.

bonita is offline Registered User

Have you looked at Cannosa Hospital (Caritas)? It's partially under renovation right now, so it's not too popular. I was just there the last 2 days because my LO has jaundice, but I barely notice the construction sound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12