Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: The video was...

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hilarious! I would totally do that to my own child!

0 0%
  • Not that funny but not that big of a deal either.

0 0%
  • Not that funny and not well-thought out.

0 0%
  • Sad and a bit disturbing.

2 100.00%

Interested in your opinion. Is this bad or am I over-sensitive?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question Interested in your opinion. Is this bad or am I over-sensitive?

So, I just caught this via Facebook. I'd like you astute ladies to weigh in on what you think of it. Clearly, it's just a late night talk show and the host wasn't probably intentionally trying to cause harm by it. But...

Is it just me or does anyone else find this pretty apalling. Maybe it's because I'm a mother who values her childrens' trust and respect and so lying (especially with young children who don't really understand the nature of a practical joke) to my children is something I avoid. Also the nature of it--setting your children up and then video taping them. Now the host admits that he didn't expect the children would cry but, c'mon, what parent doesn't know that when you take candy from children, they cry? I think it's different when children are older or have a little more maturity to understand but the children in this video were all pretty small.

Anyway, in addition to the video I found the following comments (copied, verbatim below) off-putting. I put my own comments in another color.

I would really like to know your opinions. Am I being too sensitive or do others who have and work with children see things the same way?

Just a note: This really isn't something I'm too upset over but it did shock me a bit and I'm just interested in what other people think of the video--not trying to start a heated debate or anything.

Comments:
    A: Too Funny!!!
    Me: Funny? I guess as the kind of mom I am, I just really think this is terrible. My son and daughter's trust and respect is really important to me so I make it a point to not lie (even jokingly) about such important things (and hey, candy to a kid is REALLY important)...not at least until they're a bit older and know what a practical joke is. :(
    B: funny!
    C: That was terrible!!!...Ha!, the last kids were the best.
    A: At least the last ones didn't cry like spoiled brats! lol
    Me: <begin soap box> So....it would be okay to do the same thing with say, a child's toy? Give the child a toy to keep (like you gave them candy) and then be like, "Oh, I threw your toy in the trash last night. Don't cry and be "spoiled" about it!" Wow. Making children feel pain and then videotaping it--even if it's something we adults think is trivial really disturbs me. I hope this guy doesn't do a repeat for Christmas gifts. "Daddy, where is the gift you gave me?....Oh, we gave it away to someone else...or...we broke that...sorry." Most of the children in that video were small--like 3-5-years-old. Sorry, this is pretty sick. I guess it makes sense to me because I have a sweet (unspoiled) 4-year-old who would be genuinely hurt if I did this to him. <end soap box>

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

AmyH is offline Registered User

Not something I would ever in a million years do to my kids. I have no problem telling them no, having them cry with tantrums etc but would never film it and put it on line for anybody to see.
    The thing I find disturbing about it is the fact that people will do almost anything for the slightest chance to get on TV.