Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Helper needs to see a doctor

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Helper needs to see a doctor

Hi guys,

What do you normally do when your helper needs to see a doctor? It's something that will probably need a scan and maybe an operation in the worst case scenario, which we wouldn't necessarily be able to afford privately.

I'm not familiar with the public health system here, would you make an appointment here in the first instance http://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visi...n=100&Ver=HTML or am I in the wrong place entirely?

Or is it possible to do the diagnosis through the private system then if an operation is needed, arrange that through the public like you can with maternity.

Thanks very much.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Your helper is entitled to public hospitals.
    Send her to the closest public hospital to make an appointment. If its urgent, they will see her immediately. The fees are minimal.

rani is offline Administrator

Also if you live near Caine Rd, there a couple of GPs there. They are fairly reasonable.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Also, check and see what the coverage in your required insurance for your helper is.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

elle is offline Registered User

We've always found that using her insurance (which all employers are legally required to buy for their helpers) with a private, local doctor is easy and fast - unless it is a real emergency room situation, much quicker than going the public route. Private docs can also help refer her to a public hospital without the long wait for a public GP referral if she needs more extensive testing or procedures. Her basic insurance coverage (we only purchased the minimum) is pretty good if she uses local doctors.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

We take her to our private GP - it is something like $200 for the consult, which her mandatory insurance covers. If you want it even cheaper though, there are plenty of cheap government health clinics around the place, or emergency rooms for more serious situations. Both of those will take a lot longer though..

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone, it's not an emergency so I need to dig out the terms of the insurance, I seem to remember it's pretty basic but it probably does cover the GP appointments. Good to know they can refer her to public if an operation does become necessary as I know that's where costs can really start building up and I doubt that's covered, hopefully that won't be necessary anyway.