Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Bigger lady looking for clothes

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Bigger lady looking for clothes

My dilemma is this:

I'm a big girl. Well, not really all that big but big by HK standards. Anyway, that's not the point as I'm increasingly more body positive.

After two children my hips are even wider than before I have thick, strong legs and am packing some weight and stretched out skin around my mid-section.

It will probably take me another 12-18 months with my current body condition and routine to get down to a size where I can fit back into my regular clothes.

In the meantime, I need some decent clothes to wear but I don't have a big budget. And by that I mean, every time I walk into the "usual places" ladies my size are encouraged to shop in HK (H&M/M&S etc.) I nearly cry because 1) the sizes are still not big enough for me (or if they are they are super frumpy...) 2) It's still very expensive for me. And as I don't plan to be this size for very much longer I really can't justify the expense. In some cases, I simply can't afford the expense at all.

So, in the past I found a few little outlet stores that had decent-quality clothing for cheaper prices but I'm still looking for something new as it seems the places I was going don't have much in my size any more.

Have any of you ladies come across a good outlet store that has nice, bigger sizes (I think I'm a US size 14 right now)? Do tell...

Thanks. :

Last edited by thanka2; 11-24-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Hmmmm....no thoughts?

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

carang is offline Registered User

thanka, i have given up shopping in hk. i now get everything made in sz. you can get as much or as little as you like...

i was there last week and ordered 6 pairs of long trousers (for winter) and 6 tops.... all mix'n'match stuff. it came to $3000HKD. while it is not dirt cheap, it is much cheaper than getting the stuff at h&m or m&s!

they have catalogues so you can go through and point out the styles that you like. if you aren't sure whether the style will suit you or not, then just get one pce made. you can always take it back and ask them for more... if you keep your receipt, you can even call them and they'll be able to look up what you had made and make you more....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I'm smaller than you and I do most of my shopping when I'm back home in Australia. I find that there's more choices, and the prices are generally better... If I DO need to get something here, I mainly do go to either H&M or M&S, or the Esprit outlet... I don't really have any better ideas, sorry!!

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thanka, i have given up shopping in hk. i now get everything made in sz. you can get as much or as little as you like...

i was there last week and ordered 6 pairs of long trousers (for winter) and 6 tops.... all mix'n'match stuff. it came to $3000HKD. while it is not dirt cheap, it is much cheaper than getting the stuff at h&m or m&s!

they have catalogues so you can go through and point out the styles that you like. if you aren't sure whether the style will suit you or not, then just get one pce made. you can always take it back and ask them for more... if you keep your receipt, you can even call them and they'll be able to look up what you had made and make you more....
    12 pieces made for $3000 is really good--then you KNOW the fit is good, right? Unfortunately, I simply don't have that much money to spend per piece :( I totally wish I could do that--that would be ideal for me. Maybe in the future... Thanks for the tips and I'll get the info. for the place in SZ from ya'. :)

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I'm smaller than you and I do most of my shopping when I'm back home in Australia. I find that there's more choices, and the prices are generally better... If I DO need to get something here, I mainly do go to either H&M or M&S, or the Esprit outlet... I don't really have any better ideas, sorry!!
    Yeah...of course this wouldn't be any issue if I was back in my home country. Plenty of choices and lots of choices for price too. But, it's been nearly 4 years since I've been able to make it back to my own country because of high ticket prices so that's not an option either. I totally wish I could just go back and have a big shopping trip and stock up on things. That would be amazing! Also, my shoe size is impossible to find in womens' shoes in HK--I've had some shoes made at Vicky shoes but I find that they don't fit well and wear out really quickly and aren't comfortable. I was able to buy one pair once at Geox but they actually are about 1/2-size too small for me so they don't fit well either and give me a backache. And the soles of my current shoes are literally falling off from all the walking I do so it's a tough life if you have a size 44 in womens shoes in HK. And I have strange proportions too (long torso, long rise, average leg length, wide hips, narrow waist, narrow shoulders) so I do have to try things on in order to find a suitable fit so shopping online for clothes especially trousers is not a good idea at all for me.

If I was your size, I think I wouldn't have any problem finding clothes to fit me in HK although, of course I would prefer to wear the styles and fit from my own country. Esprit...I have NEVER been able to find a single item of clothing in there that I can wear (although I've bought clothes for my husband there before--but he's thin)...H&M is the same story and yeah, you know the story about M&S.

Mother of Two

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

If you go to Cheung Sha Wan, there are warehouse wholesalers that do sell good big cheap clothes. The other is to look at Kwai Fung, next to Metropolis there is actually an older mall in the same style as Yuen Long walk up malls. They sell larger Korean styled clothes. Or Sham Shui Po or Fa Yuen Street Market - behind the stalls, along the aisles closer to the Flower Market (on the right if you are walking in that direction) there are some shops for bigger ladies and they are cheaper - A colleague of mine shops there. Have you tried UNO? That Japanese budget shop?

thanka2 likes this.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

carang is offline Registered User

my mother-in-law lives in cheung sha wan/sham shui po. i know the shops to which you are referring. but, i've never seen anything bigger than a medium... i even had a woman shout from the back of the shop "no fat sizes!" when i was 130lbs!

do you specifically where the shops with the larger clothes are? i'd love to check them out!

thanka: price for the tailored clothes depends on the fabric and on the style you choose. over the summer i got 7 capri pants and 7 tops made and it came to about $2300HKD....it is a little more, but you KNOW they will fit. if there are any problems, you can take them back and they'll fix the problem free of charge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast