Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

MMR combined vaccine and risks

Liquorice is offline Registered User

MMR combined vaccine and risks

I am interested in what other mothers have done regarding MMR vaccines.

My son is due to have his soon. The WHO and the CDC both say that there is no link between autism and the combined MMR, and that the risk of febrile seizure is linked to the incidence of fever so is related to that rather than the vaccination.

My husband and I were planning on going ahead with the combined vaccine but I worry that I must be missing something because I know there are still quite a few parents who don't want their children to have it.

Can I ask how other people feel / what they have done?

carang is offline Registered User

the "dr" who released his "study" saying there was a link has been completely discredited. personally, having dealt with thousands of kids over the years who have had it, i don't believe there is a link either. both of my kids had it. they didn't even get a fever afterwards.

elle is offline Registered User

we did the combined MMR. spoke with several pediatricians (in HK and the US) and both my husbands and my GPs in HK and our family doctor in the US - they all said that there are no medically verifiable issues, they routinely do the combined and think its safe. 2 of the pediatricians were women that gave the combined to their children.

charade is offline Registered User

My son is coming up for MMR too. I read up and found that the autism link has been discredited. However, a colleague at work told me her pediatrician in Central was recommending that parents delay giving the vaccine because new research points to a speech delay link. Anyone heard of this?

My question is not about whether to give the MMR or not - I will be giving it - but whether there is any point delaying it from the current schedule of 1 year.

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

We did MMRV-combined with chickenpox, which is not available here The 2nd round was done together with another booster jab of some other vax LO had fever the next day but it was gone quickly the day after A friend's LO developed swelling on the jab spot, saw doc and was fine later
    We are alot more concerned about the risks of LO not being protected against these diseases early

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    The WHO and the CDC both say that there is no link......
    I'm curious: if world's 2 top medical organisations have not been able to convince you, do you expect the ordinary moms&dads of geobaby to be able to convince you?

My husband and I were planning on going ahead with the combined vaccine but I worry..
    Stop worrying. The link was never there. The self-interested doctor that was pushing it was censured. There is no credible evidence showing any connection whatsoever.

I know there are still quite a few parents who don't want their children to have it.
    There are parents that believe in slippery bananas,
    There are people who believe elvis is still alive,
    There are people who believe they've seen ghosts and aliens,
    There are parents who believe prayer (instead of medicine) will cure their sick kids.
    There are no shortage of kooky people out there; put your faith in credible organizations who show good evidence instead of anecdotal messages from a few misguided people.
    carang and TNT like this.

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

Add on: Our pd back home scheduled MMRV(with chickenpox) at 15 & 18 mo (LO did 2nd round@19 mo when we went back for it)
    LO hasn't say his full sentence yet but he's learning stuff pretty well I thought There is a belief that boys are slower in speech compared with girls, but learn to walk earlier-not sure if that's true or not but I believe every child is different He was walking very well and running by 1 yo What matters is he's healthy, happy and seems keen to explore and learn:)

AmyH is offline Registered User

Both of my children have had the combined MMR, with no side affects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast