Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Expat communities with clubhouse

AussieJen is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for your help Carang - we are literally moving from a town pop. 500 to HK and I am completely and utterly clueless. I got a vibe from some other forums I read that living in village houses is not the way to go and that expat estates were much better. What do you think? I guess each to their own. Is it hard to meet people in Village housing?

carang is offline Registered User

i've lived in two village houses in hk. personally, i think they are the way to go (as do most of the people living in sai kung!). you get a LOT more bang for your buck. and while occasionally i miss having a communal swimming pool, i would rather spend the money on more space for us. we have 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, over 1000' garden, 2 free car parks and a rooftop. because we use the ground floor of our house for our dog boarding business and the dogs have the entire garden for themselves, we still have the rooftop for the family. we just got an 8' trampoline and put it on the roof. there is still 3/4 of the roof top empty, so we could bring our bbq up and set up a paddling pool there and STILL have space! we don't pay any management fees (which you would if you lived on an estate). so all of our monthly rent goes to just that... rent.

how do you meet people? well, we know everyone in our village by name. 95% of them are expats. we meet the parents of our kids' classmates and meet people at the gym (there's a curves gym in sai kung). just like you would anywhere else.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

AussieJen

We live at Fairview Park and we love it! If you see something advertised online for FP it's usually crap. Best to get in touch with a reliable agent. I will PM you her details. We saw the houses on the web and were put off but got shown some really nice ones.

Cheers!
    QM

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

AussieJen is offline Registered User

Thanks guys. You are helping to ease the major stress attack I am having today - "Am I completely insane, what am I doing this to our kids blah blah". I'm sure you had similar days??
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User

actually, no. i came here almost 17 years ago straight out of uni. i was 22, didn't know a soul and back then the internet was not very popular.... emails weren't even that common!

i now stress about possibly moving back to canada, LOL, even though that is where i am from originally!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12