Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Air Traveling for a pregnant women plus public hospital news

charade is offline Registered User

“I would like to know from u very basic things that when i am due which ward or where i need to go.”

Ok, as far as I remember, when you are in labour, for United Christian, you go to the Main/General building and take the lift up to the labour ward/delivery suite on the second floor. (You can confirm this at your appointment… ie – name of building and floor to go up to ) Basically, you exit the lift, turn left and turn right (following the board pointing to ‘delivery suite’). You will come to a closed door next to which is a sensor – you wave your hand in front of the sensor and the door opens (I’m saying all this because I was a little confused the first time). This will lead you to a waiting area with a few couches, and in front of you will be another closed door with a bell/buzzer and intercom. Press it and say you are in labour. A nurse will let you in. At this stage, your husband will be asked to wait outside.

I suggest you make a trip to UCH and find the ward, go into waiting room etc. at least at end Jan. Or if your appointment is at UCH, just go up to the ward. The doors and sensor can be a little confusing so might as well figure out the process before you’re actually in labour.

Around your 36th week, the nurses at your antenatal appointment will probably give you an envelope with your medical records which you need to take with you when you go into labour and give it to the nurse at the delivery suite. This envelope will have the details of the building number and floor number. If you antenatal appointment is in UCH itself, maybe they already have your records and don’t need you to carry them so it may be a little different.

The nurse will ask you some questions – I was asked about allergies, medical history (weird, because shouldn’t it have been on the record?) and was also asked to sign something that said I was ok if they performed an episiotomy etc. Please think about whether you are ok with an episiotomy – you can refuse if you are not. Also, if you want your husband in the delivery room with you – I strongly urge you to have him with you – you can say so, and keep a copy of your husband’s ID card with you.

Then they took me to an area with beds and hooked me up to a monitor to determine if I was in active labour. My water had not broken at this stage. A doctor was called in to examine me – be prepared for this cervical exam, it is quite painful and in my case, the doctor gave no explanation of what she was about to do. I suggest you speak slowly and clearly. They have this impression that South Asians don’t speak English and are thus a little strange initially but once thye realize you are easy to communicate with it’s all ok.

They decided I should be admitted to the antenatal ward which is on the third floor. So I was put in a wheelchair and taken up there. You’ll have to say bye to your husband then. When your contractions are very regular and spaced close together, they’ll bring you down again to a private room. While they are doing this, they’ll ask you to call your husband if you want him there. So make sure your mobile phone is charged – they don’t let you charge your phone in the ward.

This is how it was for me. If you’re ready to give birth when you go in there, they might not send you up to the ward at all.

Also, at your antenatal appointment they will give you a list of stuff you need to bring with you to the hospital. Around your 36th week, get this stuff together and pack it in a bag. Don’t make the bag too big or it might not fit in the locker in the ward. One thing on that list that is a little hard to find but that they insist on – maternity pads that can be tied with string. These can be bought in the 7/11 in the same building as the labour ward. I suggest you ask the nurse to write the Chinese word for these pads; even in the 7/11 they’re hard to find and if you need to ask the sales person, they won’t understand what you’re saying in English.

Do they operate 24 hours

Yes, they operate 24 hours. Yes, there is a doctor on call ALWAYS. They work in shifts – there is always a doctor there, don’t worry. Also, the midwives and nurses are very good. Don’t be upset if it is mostly them at your delivery. Be happy. It means your delivery is smooth and uncomplicated.

Your husband is right, there is not need to worry so much. But this is a new experience so of course you will worry. My strategy was to just not think about it too much. Believe me, your body knows what to do.

sabasaqib is offline Registered User

Dear Charade

Your information was so helpful
    We went through first attendance at UCH yesterday and all is fine
    Doctor also interviewed me

We also saw delivery suite

Now what i should wait for
    When i need to be prepared now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123