Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

How has pregnancy change your lifestyle?

baby and mama is offline Registered User

Hi, can I know how have pregnancy change your lifestyle?

How do you usually spend your time.

May I also know which are the area (product, services, etc) that you spent most?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Mmmmm.....this sounds like some market research going on here. :)

Anyway...the first things I thought when I read the title of this post was, "How did pregnancy change my lifestyle? Sleep!" With my most recent pregnancy instead of being the late-night person I usually am I was usually in bed, asleep at like 8 pm! So, I guess I didn't have that much time to go out and use products and services because all I wanted to do was sleep and hang around my house when I wasn't working.

But, other than that, I think most women start buying baby and pregnancy products and services when they're pregnant and have a baby, right? Wouldn't it be funny if we all just started really getting into automotive parts and tools during pregnancy. "Where are you going honey? Oh, no, not to the auto-parts store again! This pregnancy thing is going to bankrupt us..."

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

meimeid is offline Registered User

Agree with thanka on sleep. And add wine and food to that! I craved for a medium rare steak and sushi (although some say you can still eat this, I didn't).

hello all the great mom and mother to be :)

Hi, I am working on a market research for my MA project. if you don't mind, I hope you can share with me your experience on the following queries. If there are areas that I have miss out, please share with me :) (don't worry, this is just for educational reference)

• How has pregnancy change your lifestyle?
    • How do you usually spend your time?
    • What products and services do they spend most during pregnancy?
    • Is there any changes in your wellness and fitness?
    • Do you notice any behavior change in you?
    • Pets issue
    • Is there any role change in your social status?

thank you so much, cheers~
    • Family relationship

thanka2 is offline Registered User

During pregnancy? Or when not pregnant? Well, for me, most of my time is spent at work either way except when I'm on maternity leave. After that is spending time with my husband, son and friends. After that it's just sleep and eat. :)
    Didn't really change very much. During pregnancy we spend more money on doctors. Maybe spend a bit more on baby clothes and maternity clothes--but honestly, that's not very much. Spend money on strollers/prams and baby carriers and natural health items (teas, supplements, natural medicine etc.)
    For me, not really. I took pilates while I was pregnant and it was great. I did have back problems during pregnancy that caused quite a bit of discomfort and toward the end I had a severe issue with my liver enzymes that made my skin unbearably itchy. Otherwise, I was healthy.
    I got tired more easily.
    • Pets issue
    None at all. Actually, I quite liked having my cats around while I was pregnant. They always like to lie on the side of my belly and they are really soothing and comforting--especially since my husband worked nights and was often not home.
    This question is unclear. Do you mean, do I still hold the same status socially or do you mean is my social life different? If you're asking about social life, I would say that my social life was more full when I was pregnant because I was part of a due date club and enjoyed meeting up with other pregnant women.
    • Family relationship
    No major changes in family relationships during or because of pregnancy. I think the process of pregnancy and birth brought my husband and I closer together and strengthened our relationship.

baby and mama likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Hi thanka2,

thank you so much for the prompt reply.

and thanks for answering the unclear questions. :) yes, i meant your social life and maybe at work and in a public space.

Gracey is offline Registered User

I was working full time through pregnancy -- and very long hours -- and I was exhausted all the time. I had nausea for the first few months, and then leg cramps and swelling in late pregnancy. So all I did was work and go home. I went to fewer social events.

This question is unclear. Before, during or after pregnancy?

Around 3-4 months pregnant, I began to buy maternity clothes, maternity bras, a maternity swimsuit, etc.
    Towards the end of pregnancy, I bought some very basic baby items -- a bassinet and cot, diapers, etc. But bought almost no baby clothes, because I got a big bag of hand-me-downs from my family.
    I didn't use any particular special services, unless you count prenatal medical care.

Well, your entire physical being changes during pregnancy, so you might want to narrow down this question.
    In terms of fitness, I did prenatal yoga and some swimming. When I got too big to swim, I walked in the water around the pool.
    I stopped doing riskier or more strenuous outdoor physical activity.
    But I did more light exercise, like yoga, walking and swimming.

Again, you might want to narrow down this question, since your whole life changes when you're expecting a baby. But, if you're asking about hormonal mood swings, etc. -- no, I didn't have anything like that. No moodiness, etc.

• Pets issue
    No issue with pets. I was shocked when my HK Chinese relatives asked if I was getting rid of my cat. Of course we wouldn't.
    We kept our housecat, who was a great comfort to me while I was pregnant. He's proven to be wonderful with the baby -- he never hurts her, touches her or any of her things. He comes and gets us when he hears her crying!
    My relatives worried about cat hair and allergies -- but I think the more children are exposed to things early, the stronger their immune systems get. Our baby sneezed a few times when she first contacted the cat, but she's stopped now.
    The only small change is that I stopped cleaning the litter box -- animal feces can carry a germ that is dangerous to pregnant women.

I don't know what you mean by status. My status among my family? My position at work? Or do you mean social life?

I hope that helps.
    • Family relationship

carang is offline Registered User

my lifestyle changed completely. with my first, i was extremely sick. could not even look at food. i lost over 20lbs in the first 3 months. i was only 5 lbs heavier when i gave birth than when i got pregnant. with my second, i spent 4 out of 8 months in a wheelchair due to debilitating hip pain.
    • How do you usually spend your time?most of my second pregnancy was spent on the sofa. i couldn't walk at all. i needed my husband even to help me get to the toilet or into/out of the bath. if i wasn't on the sofa, it was because i was in the hospital. i was hospitalised 13 times over 2 pregnancies.
    During my second pregnancy, i tried a lot of massage, because my hips and back were so painful. i also tried a chiropractor for the first time.
    see above answers
    hubby and i argued a lot more during my second pregnancy. i think it was because he was feeling a lot of pressure financially and also having me in a wheelchair and completely dependent upon him was very stressful for both of us.
    • Pets issue
    my two dogs were wonderful. they kept me company on the many nights i slept on the bathroom floor (due to morning sickness, i was ill a LOT.)
    really don't understand the meaning of this question....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast