Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Winter attire

Biggie is offline Registered User

Everyone has different tolerance to cold weather, and this applies to babies/kids too. My 1yr old is always sweating but my 3 yr old likes to dress warmly and asked to put on his jacket. so, to answer your question, for the last few days:
    in the house: (1yr) sleeveless onesie, long sleeve T, pants. (3yr) long sleeve undershirt, long sleeve T, pants
    outside: same as above plus thin/thick jacket depending on temperature, socks/shoes
    bed/nap: (1yr) sleeveless onesie, long sleeve pj, thin grobag. (3yr) long sleeve undershirt, long sleeve pj set, thin blanket (which he doesn't really use)

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

When the weather gets cooler my 22mo LO is dressed in long-sleeved cotton top & pants@home When out he wears slightly thicker cotton/polyester/corduroy(depending on weather temp) with/without jacket &/ leg warmers occasionally For outdoors similar with
    windproof jacket & pants
    Our sg pd advised us to avoid overdressing the baby as their body system is not as developed as adults' on heat regulation They are prone to feeling warm more easily than cold and cold hands and feet are not necessarily accurate indicators The back and chest are good areas to check with our fingers We found that to be reliable so far in our case The main caregiver should know best whether a child needs more dressing or not
    It's weird to see kids here being wrapped up like dumplings and yet sweating away with hanky hanging from the back of their necks...Several times I've also seen poor young babies in prams being dressed in thick layers displaying much discomfort with another blanket on top of them...
    I guess it's one of the cultural differences I would just go with whatever I think is best for my LO, just as what others think is best for theirs, though not necessarily in the same way 

carang is offline Registered User

true, cool hands/feet are not necessarily good indicators of whether the baby is cold or not. just as you wouldn't judge if a baby has a fever by touching their feet/hands, you check their body/torso/trunk rather than their extremities

that said, if i have cold hands/feet, i feel cold all over... but then again, i have poor circulation....

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

Missed out some words: The back OF THE NECK and chest are good areas to check with fingers

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Not sure if it holds true for children or babies but up to 30% of body heat is lost through hands and feet and 40% escapes through the head. This is necessary to regular temperature. So, if one is truly cold, sealing off those exits can often be enough to keep warm. So, before, I start putting layers on my child, I make sure his or her head and feet are covered adequately and then readjust from there. But, our flat is cold, as I said so we have to wear more indoors than when we're outdoors.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

TungBB is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone. I guess many people in Hong Kong do wear too much. Even for adults. I was out and in short sleeves today. I saw many adults in jackets, some even with scarfs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User

i had a kid in class today:

1) undershirt
    2) thermal "jumper" type thing
    3) button down shirt
    4) fleece
    5) thick, down-filled winter coat

this was a 5.5 year old, so not like his internal thermostat hadn't set yet.... it is utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Just ignore them. It was 20 degrees outside this afternoon. And tonight (as 3 separate people told me) it's going to drop to a "frigid" 15 degrees! LOL. This is summer weather is some parts of the world.
    The rule is that your baby should wear one more layer than you do comfortably.
    Today, I went out in a short-sleeved dress and a cardigan. My baby went out in a long-sleeved onsie and a cardigan, with a little hat and shoes. I don't care what the grannies in the park say.
    Also, if your kid is really cold, he / she would cry and tell you. Also, his / her hands and face will be cold to the touch.
    If your kid is comfortable, then leave it.
    Years ago, when my parents were bringing us up in Canada, the doctors used to warn them against over bundling us up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast