Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Great GP but doesn't like to prescribe medication

sweet_tomato is offline Registered User

Great GP but doesn't like to prescribe medication

Just want to share our experience here. Our GP is caring, supportive with breast-feeding and down to earth. But every time bub and I go in cause of a cold or cough, she just gives us a sympathic look and sends us home with no meds. Bub is 14 months and she believes we will fight the virus naturally and get better in time. But our stuffy noses and sore throats are begging for some relieve. I want to take her advice and let our bodies do the work...but it's been 10 days! Give me a break ;-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

She's a rare one in Hong Kong then, hold on to her! She's right that if it's a cold then there's nothing she can give that will cure you, the rise of those scary hospital bugs like MSRA is largely attributable to overprescription of antibiotics and people's failure to finish courses, often for conditions that antibiotics can't help anyway.

There's quite a few over the counter and natural remedies that can help you feel better in the meantime, our gp often 'prescribes' those even though you can get them from a chemist if you want to. Maybe ask her what she recommends if you're not sure.

Lots of sympathy though, having a cold is horrible, especially when it's the whole family. Get well soon.

thanka2 likes this.

elle is offline Registered User

Your ped is probably right if your little one has a cold and following 'best practices' from most Western countries for children under 2. Our doctor shared this link from the Mayo Clinic in the US with us:

"Over-the-counter (OTC) medications should generally be avoided in infants. Fever-reducing medications may be safely used — carefully following dosing directions — if fever is making your child uncomfortable. Cough and cold medications are not safe for infants and young children."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/com...CTION=symptoms

Some things we have found to help include using those baby saline nasal sprays, warm baths in steamy bathroom and baby panadol or neurofen if she is really uncomfortable. Other than that it is lots of holding, hugs and uncomfortable nights until she is feeling better.

Some doctors in HK will prescribe an antihistamine for babies with colds (believe it is called Polaramine, which you can purchase in a children’s dose at local pharmacies in HK), but this practice is strongly discouraged in the US.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Unless you are dealing with some really high fever or some complications that can lead to serious damage, your doctor is right. No need for meds for babies and young kids. Let the baby fight fight fight and all the fighting will build up good immunity.

Even if there is fever, some cool towels go a long way and medication should only be considered in very special circumstances.

Most HKG doctors love to prescribe; you've got a rare one. Hang on to that Doc.

charade is offline Registered User

However, if you do want a doctor that prescribes something for cold, it shouldn't be hard to find one. My pediatrician surprised me by prescribing stuff when my son had a cold. I tend to hang onto it and avoid giving it unless I feel my son is really suffering.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Great doc! Would just check to make sure no fever...otherwise warm bathes, otrivin to dry the runny nose, sucking out the phlegm...fever control with medication only I believe....

erina320 is offline Registered User

I was FLOORED the first time I took my not yet 2 year old to the doctor here. I went mainly to make sure it wasn't an ear infection and was thankful it was only a cold, but very surprised when I left with 4 bottles of medication for my little patient. I went home and looked up all 4 medications on the Internet and all of them were listed as highly contraindicated when giving to children under 8!! One was even an opiate to "help baby sleep." I chucked them all and stuck with an old remedy for colds... Chicken noodle soup and some baby panadol.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

That's great? What kind of medicine will help for a cold? Nothing a doc will prescribe and certainly not antibiotics since it's a virus. Some Panadol, nasal spray, rest is usually sufficient to let things run their course. My kids are 7 1/2 and 5. My oldest never had antibiotics, the others: one twin 3 times (2x double doses) for quite severe, long lasting ear infections and my other one once plus a mega-dosis for 2 weeks (first time) when she contracted MRSA at age
    5 months. Only use antiobiotics when truly necessary is my motto.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast