Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

breastfeeding in in public in HK

msd
    msd is offline Registered User

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My friend breastfed both her boys in HK and told me she's seen loads of people do it but I have never seen it (or wasn't paying attention as I didn't have a child at the time). She also mentioned baby changing facilities are good and there's loads about but I have yet to see that for myself.

The only reason I asked about breastfeeding in public is because from my previous visits to HK, I found local men (mostly in the NT area) are just plain rude as they would stare blatantly at my boobs (not all men before someone tells me off but quite a few, I was with a male friend who stopped counting after 20, he'll say 'there's another one looking at your boobs!' He made it into joke everytime I met up with him). I even gave one old guy a really dirty look but he never noticed cos he was too busy staring at my chest (they're not particularly big - maybe a bit bigger than local girls cos I'm quite 'meaty'). What makes it worse was that I was wearing a T-shirt that went up to my neck and was with my husband's grandmother at the time. So I'm sure you can imagine what my thoughts on breastfeeding are.

Going slightly off topic, does anyone recommend I buy food flasks, baby gadgets, etc from HK? One friend told me how good her Japanese flasks and other feeding equipment from HK were and another said 'just buy everything from here (UK), they're just as good'.

Thanks

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by msd View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. My friend breastfed both her boys in HK and told me she's seen loads of people do it but I have never seen it (or wasn't paying attention as I didn't have a child at the time). She also mentioned baby changing facilities are good and there's loads about but I have yet to see that for myself.

The only reason I asked about breastfeeding in public is because from my previous visits to HK, I found local men (mostly in the NT area) are just plain rude as they would stare blatantly at my boobs (not all men before someone tells me off but quite a few, I was with a male friend who stopped counting after 20, he'll say 'there's another one looking at your boobs!' He made it into joke everytime I met up with him). I even gave one old guy a really dirty look but he never noticed cos he was too busy staring at my chest (they're not particularly big - maybe a bit bigger than local girls cos I'm quite 'meaty'). What makes it worse was that I was wearing a T-shirt that went up to my neck and was with my husband's grandmother at the time. So I'm sure you can imagine what my thoughts on breastfeeding are.

Going slightly off topic, does anyone recommend I buy food flasks, baby gadgets, etc from HK? One friend told me how good her Japanese flasks and other feeding equipment from HK were and another said 'just buy everything from here (UK), they're just as good'.

Thanks
    The staring is exactly the reason why I use a nursing cover. The staring really unnerves my husband (moreso than me) who is local. He gets a bit nervous even if I show a little cleavage but I think that part of that is that he IS local and he does know how local men think so I just cover up--it makes me feel less intruded upon and basically means there is nothing for anyone to see. Other people might not be bothered by it. And I guess you can't fault anyone for staring because 1) it's not common for local Chinese women to show their breasts in public--under any circumstances 2) it's likely they actually don't see public breastfeeding very often (they may even be curious as to how things actually work) 3) you are coming from a different culture and so that in itself makes you more interesting to look at. Having said this, I get stared at a lot--even when I'm not breastfeeding--it's just kind of part of being in the New Territories sometimes. I actually had a local lady at a restaurant this last weekend who was with her baby and saw me breastfeeding tell me, "Oh, I pump breastmilk and feed from a bottle when I go out or use formula as it's more convenient." I told her, "Really? I find breastfeeding more convenient as I don't have to take along bottles, formula, fresh water and then take time to mix everything up. I can breastfeed anywhere and it's quick and easy for me."

As to your other question--I have no idea the comparison between the UK and HK for feeding utensils so I can't help you there. I found that the selection was of just as good quality and often wider and more affordable in the States, though.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

yonge is offline Registered User

As an ethnic Cantonese woman, I get asked to breastfeed elsewhere more because establishments are embarrassed for me as there is a deep-seated notion that a Chinese woman should not be exposed in any way. Most will not bother you if you do not speak Cantonese. That said, I do think that the general public now is the most accepting in the past 7 years I've had to breastfeed in public than in the past. I'm more likely now to get words of encouragement from strangers now when I breastfeed in public - even in Cantonese. My experience has been HK island only.

yonge is offline Registered User

On the other question, western brands are more expensive here - Medela, Avent, Mustela, etc., but the Asian brands will be cheaper. The Japanese and the Taiwanese companies come up with some pretty remarkable things that I had never knew I "needed". :) Also, local supermarkets/pharmacies and baby shops will have better prices than the chain supermarkets/pharmacies or department stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12