Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JW Marriott Phuket with a baby?

Gracey is offline Registered User

JW Marriott Phuket with a baby?

Hi everyone,
    I'm planning a Phuket trip with my baby, who will be 5 months by then.
    Has anyone had experience with travelling with a baby on Dragonair or Thai Airways?
    Is it worth it to buy an extra seat for a baby so small? Any experiences with airline bassinets? Is it wise to buy a special car seat thingie to bring on board?
    Also, anyone stay with a baby at the JW Marriott in Phuket? How was the baby cot?
    We're thinking of getting a regular room, not a villa. While I'm BFing, I do sometimes pump and use bottles, especially while going out. How do you sterilize?
    This trip is to give me a mini-break before I go back to work.
    But I'm almost wondering if travelling with the baby will be more exhausting than just staying home.
    Appreciate any suggestions.
    And Merry Christmas!

charade is offline Registered User

I did a longer flight with my baby when he was five months. I think it's a good time to travel with the baby as they are somewhat resilient but still sleep a lot. Since our flight was at night, got the basinet so when he was sleeping, we put him in it. If you can get the bassinet option, why not just reserve it and use it only if you need? If it's a short day flight though, you might be fine just holding the baby.

The flight was fine but I did find the holiday with my baby exhausting. Mainly it was the 2 1/2 hour time difference and the fact that the baby kept waking up at 4 am, bright-eyed and bushy tailed wanting to play. Arrrgh! The one hour time difference between Thailand and HK might not be so bad though. If you're used to a helper though, I'd consider taking her along just so that your holiday is actually a holiday. I thought my baby became more cranky just because of the break in routine and new surroundings.

I've stayed at the Marriott property closer to the airport in Phuket (forgot what it's called); it was very beautiful and seemed kid friendly (though I didn't have a baby then). We were in an apartment so there was a fridge, micro and all.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

I'd say go direct with Dragonair rather than having to stop over in Bangkok. Extra seat not worth it. Baby will be fine on your lap on such a short flight. If the bassinet is available it is handy to give baby a break form sitting and you can even do changes in there (providing it doesn't smell). And if it's nap time it'll be more comfortable for both of you.

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

To sterilise use Milton liquid or tablets. Only some aircraft can accommodate the car seat so if you're very keen try to find out if it would be a possibility for your flight but I'd say not worth it. As for going on holiday... Just face the fact that it is never going to be the same again unless you leave baby behind, and even then baby would be out of sight but not out of mind ;)

Hope you have a good break! And FYI- you'll need To pack a LOT more than you are used to :)

fianna is offline Registered User

JW Marriott is very nice and child friendly. We stayed there with our 1 yo and loved it. We had a villa though so we had a prroper kitchen- that we never actually used. I don't know about baby cots as we are cosleeping.

Babysitters are very nice and accomodating. Place was really clean and nice. I miss it!

Travelling with a baby this age is also easy as you don't have to run after them. I recommend all my friends to do their travelling before baby gets mobile :-) i used Air Asia and we did struggle a bit with the seats even on premium ones. Maybe Dragonair is roomier. A stopover is not worth it at this distance, it's lss than 4 hours! I find stopovers to be more tiring sometimes!

Anyway, enjoy your holiday in phuket! And do take advantage of the massage by the beach at the Marriott. It's not their spa but some local ladies in a hut and it's very cheap and nice, i could have spend hours there!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

I'm pretty sure the JW Marriott will lend you a steriliser if you want one (email them and ask). Also ask about the cot (whether it's a travel cot or a proper wooden cot). We stayed there with our two little ones, but I honestly can't remember what the cot was like. Must have been fine as I'd have remembered if it was awful!!

If you can't borrow a steriliser, take a tupperware box, a small bottle of dishwashing liquid, botttle brush etc - we always washed bottles in the basin, then poured boiling water over them into the tupperware box. I'm not personally keen on the smell of Milton tablets, though of course they sterilise very effectively.

I would definitely say that the trip will not be a break for you unless you take your helper, a willing and able family member or if your husband bears the brunt of the work. Travelling with children is never a holiday - it's merely 'parenting in a different location'! ;-)

southside852 is offline Registered User

no need to get baby that young a seat - just sit him/her on your lap. definitely chose a direct flight too. i always use the Milton tablets when traveling around in Asia. Like Honkyblues mentioned above, we load up a big lock/load plastic container with all the sterilizing stuff (brush, bottle cleanser etc..) and then use it for the tablets. We've been to a couple of resorts in Phuket. Heard the JW Marriott is great for kids, but the beach is not that great. So if that's not important, then it's ideal. And yes, helper is key if you've got one - she was our life saver esp during nap time.

In Phuket, the further from the airport, the better the beach.

Last edited by southside852; 12-25-2011 at 03:38 AM.

meimeid is offline Registered User

We just came back from Phuket with our 3 months old. Flew with AirAsia and it was fine. Just 3,5 hours, both ways on premium seat. On the way back we took our maxicosi in the plane since it wasn't full. That was much easier, but without was just as manageable.

Another option to consider could be the Sunwing resort at Kamala beach, 35 min drive from airport (they offer transfers). They have a 'Happy Baby' room, with kitchenette, baby bath, baby sitchair, stroller, changing mat, babysitting services, baby cot. The resort has 7 swimming pools and many have a section suitable for babies (though maybe a bit cold at around 28 degrees).
    It's next to the beach, some sun beds on the beach are those lounge ones, so your baby can lay between you. We had a lovely holiday. Our son was so excited everyday, he ended up sleeping in every day which was very nice for us too!
    I think if you are more relaxed towards your bub, your holiday will automatically be more relaxing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast