Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Why Chinese parents let baby sweat?

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User

There are occasions when DH & I are dressed a layer more than our toddler when it gets cold It seems like it gets colder for us easier than for him...
    Talk abt the hanky, this hanky-behind-kid's neck thingy here is quite a contradicting practice...The other day I saw 2 kids from a same family at our clubhouse playground dressed in 3 layers or so- top being a thick sweater, both with hankies hung from behind their necks They were apparently the ones sweating non-stop and the hankies were all wet! When we first got here we bought a set of clothes for LO & didn't realize inside the packaging comes with a hanky with some odd cutting It was until the first debut of a hanky hung from the back of the neck of a little plumb boy sweating away I witnessed did I realized what the odd-shaped piece of cloth we have was about So surprised they even offer hankies with a 'convenient' design for such purpose!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ureshii3 View Post
    When we first got here we bought a set of clothes for LO & didn't realize inside the packaging comes with a hanky with some odd cutting It was until the first debut of a hanky hung from the back of the neck of a little plumb boy sweating away I witnessed did I realized what the odd-shaped piece of cloth we have was about So surprised they even offer hankies with a 'convenient' design for such purpose!
    Are you serious?! That is so funny!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Gracey is offline Registered User

OK, I'll admit that it was chilly last night. Baby went to bed in a long-sleeved onsie, and a thick sleeping bag, and a blanket tucked firmly into the sides of the mattress.
    But still -- if your baby is sweating, he/she is too hot and will probably get sick from being wet.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    if your baby is sweating, he/she is too hot and will probably get sick from being wet.
    While being cold, hot or wet can be uncomfortable for anyone (especially young ones), I'm not aware of any illnesses that you could pick up from such situations.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I think "catching a chill" doesn't cause disease but it can in a way weaken our immune defense. At least that's how I understand it.
    http://dumbscientist.com/archives/co...-make-you-sick

Something also that I found interesting was:
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...03/2177911.htm

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

charade is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    While being cold, hot or wet can be uncomfortable for anyone (especially young ones), I'm not aware of any illnesses that you could pick up from such situations.
    My son tends to get a skin rash when he gets too sweaty. We have this problem in more summer - he is a sweater. He has also caught lots of colds in summer which I attribute to being wet from sweat in the freezing air-con in the clubhouse but it's really a fine art knowing how many layers to put on and remove. Even in winter, he tends to be a sweater, so we have to watch the layers.

Ureshii3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Are you serious?! That is so funny!
    So so serious!
    thanka2 likes this.

genkimom is offline Registered User

Ureshii, that's so interesting...I didn't realize they have specially designed clothes for that purpose. I always felt bad for the local kids running around in 4-6 thick layers in 30 degree temps and sweating and red faced.

My pediatrician told me when my son was born to dress him in one layer more than I felt comfortable wearing while an infant and then let him decide how many layers to put on once he is old enough to make those choices (between 2-4, depending on the developing maturity of a child). The locals must think horrible thoughts as my son runs around in nothing but a t-shirt in 25 degree temps. (they must really think I'm awful for dressing my newborn in only 3 layers....but they think I'm awful for a variety of reasons, such as carrying my baby in a sling etc, so I guess I'm hopeless...) I carry an extra layer in case he asks for it, but I don't make him wear anything he doesn't feel comfy in.

But I agree with thanka; air-con makes extra layers absolutely necessary. Even in this weeks freezing weather, locals have all the windows wide open as if its a warm spring day. Extra layers are necessary to carry along!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast