Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Has anyone had a Bad Experience in Dymocks bookstore (IFC mall)

Leeah's mom is offline Registered User

Has anyone had a Bad Experience in Dymocks bookstore (IFC mall)

Have anyon had a bad experience at IFC Dymocks bookstore?

I want to know whether overall cusotmer service at Dymocs is bad, or Am I the only one who was unlucky because the staffs there were in a bad mood.

carang is offline Registered User

what kind of problems were you having? and where were you having them?

i've never had an issue... but then again, i often spend thousands at a time in bookshops....

bagel is offline Registered User

My experience with them was unsatisfactory. Last year I bought a calendar diary from them and later that day at another store I found a similar product for one-third the price. Within 2 hours of purchase, I went back to Dymocks to return the overpriced diary and they said that their policy is that returns can't be accepted but they would allow an exchange for the same value. I was agitated to hear that so I bought a children's book for my son as the exchange and never went back to Dymocks for the entire last year. Prefer to give my business to someone else.

carang is offline Registered User

that is not unusual in hk at all... i believe it is even printed on their receipt. that, in and of itself, is not a reason to not give them your custom (in my eyes)...

that said: i bought a couple of TRUE BLOOD books from dymocks... $102 each.. SHOPINHK.COM? $64 or around there... will be much more careful about the prices i pay from now on.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Also check http://www.bookdepository.com/ and http://www.fishpondworld.com/ - both sites sell books with free shipping world wide. Generally both sites have good customer service and ship quickly. From book depository, sometimes the books take 2-3 weeks to get here though, although I've found fishpond world to be faster, sometimes taking a week or even less. I used to spend a LOT at Dymocks but since I learned of those two sites, I rarely go there any more.

Leeah's mom is offline Registered User

Nicolejoy, Thanks for the advice. the websites will be very usueful to me.
    Bagel, I totally agree with you, I would never want to go there again. I work at IFC, so I used to go to Dymocks I felt they wer not freindly but I just went there because it was close by, But after what had happended to me the other day, I would never go there again.
    Carang, Actually, What happend was that I was asking one of the staffs whether they have any stock of a certain book I was looking for.
    I told a lady staff the name of the book and showed the note but she didn't even look and just said " I know this book, but no stock" just snapped at me
    I felt kinda upset because usually other book store staffs at least will ask "Woud you like to order something like that"
    so I went up to the other staff to check once again because I saw her not checking with their computer system then
    this guy stared me very rudely and snapped at me like the previous staff " the other staff already told you it's out of stock"
    then I heard them talking in catonese. They thought I don't understand cantonese because I asked them in English because I was looking for an English book.
    and they were backtalking about me saying like that I am really bad customer etc ( actually worse than that, but I don't even want to mention it) I could understand what they were talking and at least they shouldn't talk about the customer right in front because I was still there.
    If they talked about me once I was gone, it won't be a big deal as I didn't hear, but I heard what they were talking about me and couldn't believe how rude they were to customers .
    If I didn't understand cantonese, I wouldn't feel so upset, but as I understood whole thing it was really unacceptable behavior to the cusomter.
    I asked them really politely, but what I heard from them was some cantonese slang backed to me.

Thanks all for sharing my story.