Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Urgent advice needed - Bradbury and Kellett

Aber97 is offline Registered User

Urgent advice needed - Bradbury and Kellett

Besides class size, fees, curriculum, and location what will be the key factors for preferring one school over the other (especially at reception and primary level)? Will really appreciate any comments Or message on this from parents with experience with either one or (even better) Both of these schools, many thanks!

MommieMid is offline Registered User

When you visited the campuses, which of the two schools made you feel most comfortable and excited about your children possibly attending? Did either of the schools have children who were not only happy, but demonstrated behavoirs that you would like your children to be alongside and emulate?
    Is one of the differences between the two schools, the proportion of mother-tongue English speaking children? I am sure other posters will answer that question for me.
    Kellett, I understand is very academic. Their children have the option to peel off at 13 years to go to English boarding schools, and they do. They prepare their children for common entrance.
    I know parents and staff at both schools.
    My children attend local schools, and our choice was my first choice.

rani is offline Administrator

I would base my decision on class size and curriculum, and would probably go with Kellett.

One of the few schools following the National Curriculum. They made a good effort during Swine Flu a few years ago when schools were shut down, to support kids through e-learning and phone calls from teachers.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Thanks so much MommieMid and Rani. My child is in ESF K1 right now, we now need to decide whether to stay for K2 in view to pursue to apply for a place at Bradbury next year or accept a place for starting reception at Kellett this summer very shortly. Also just attended assessment at FIS a few days ago for starting international stream reception there also this summer and don't know result, and have assessment coming up at the GSIS for starting K1 Eng stream this summer also (might not pursue that one though). I agree, the feel of the school, class size and curriculum really is the key. Language exposure at each school is different also. Not too easy to choose because since waiting lists are long I am anxious to make the "right" choice to hopefully minimise the dreaded possibility of having to change schools again later on! Your comments are most helpful. Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator

Aber97, does your daughter fall under Cat 1 or 2 for ESF? Another mum told there will be very few places at Bradbury in 2 yrs as there are a number of kids with sibling priority. If your daughter does get accepted at FIS/GSIS/Kellett I would seriously consider it, as they are all thru train schools and you don't have to worry about a p1 place. ESF Kindy only guarantees an interview at an ESF primary school and not a place.

Good luck with your decision!

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

She is an only child, falls within Cat 1, I also attended an ESF for a couple of years and my sister went to an ESF also. I heard apparently nearly everyone from her HK island kindy who applied got into an ESF primary last year, not sure how true this is though. Will be relieved once she's signed up for a school and stays there for a while!

newbiekt is offline Registered User

Sounds like you are in a good position. I would take the guaranteed place rather than take a chance on ESF. I think it's very much personal preference between FIS and Kellett (those are the two we have applied to for 2013 so we have thought about those options). For what it's worth I think Kellett feels smaller and more friendly, but I think the academic standards are probably higher at FIS. Out of interest do you know what FIS asked at the assessment? Any writing or specific tasks? (Hoping not!)

rani likes this.

To be honest I don't know exactly what happened in the one hour and a half assessment for entry to reception class, because the kids were brought to a class room without parents and were assessed there. Accompanying adults wait outside. I took a quick peep outside through the door glass panel and it seemed that they were put in groups and did things like drawing and possibly were read to or singing and playing with legos. Quite a few kids cried on initial separation including mine, but once "dragged" or carried in and parents out of site most were fine and just got on with it. I think one child refused to go inside in the end. My daughter mentioned about drawing something, and that she was singing, and snatched someone's toys... Prior to the assessment, I enquired about this and some mums said they had to be able to use scissors or are told to draw their family members, and know their numbers like which
    number before or after what. I had to leave during the assessment and my helper came up to the school to wait, she said my child looked so happy afterwards, like she had a good time! I think they just wanted to make sure the child speaks and understands English and has some notion of numbers and family etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast