Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Helper while away

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Won't panic too much, if you dont trust her, you won't keep her...that's my position at least, doesn't matter if you're at home or not, you got to trust the person that works for you. What I'd do in your position is offer her holiday when your whole family is away and have her come back when your husband will be around so she can do his cleaning. If she doesn't want to go, then I'd just pay her basic salary and food allowance..that's it. I'd pay for the expense of traveling to her home country.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

we left our helper with hubby for some time last yr, while my son and i went back home. i didnt have a list of chores for her, except to please keep my home clean. she did everything else. thorough spring cleaning, cleaning the fridge and even got the pest control guys to come in! she was with us less than 3 months then. we gave her daily allowance and she managed her own time. she was free to do her own thing or go out, as long as the home was clean and dinner was cooked for hubby.

we came home to a very clean apartment, a very happy husband who missed us and a very happy helper dying to work cos she was bored to tears! haha!

Last edited by pixelelf; 02-05-2012 at 10:15 PM.
    satay sue likes this.

gpjapan is offline Registered User

well the need for borrowing was there even when my friend was there BUT she didnt have time to go seek for it.

She left the house phone number with the lenders and my friend received harassing calls from them when her helper left.

@carang, havent u heard the proverb: an idle mind is devil's workshop!

southside852 is offline Registered User

when we go home for 2 months, we always send my helper home as she has 2 children of her own. she leaves a few days after me and returns a few days before our return home to clean, do grocery shopping etc.... my husband definitely prefers this as well. it's a good break for all of us. we of course pay her as well like someone mentioned above as it's not her fault we're going home. everyone comes back recharged too which i like.

howardcoombs likes this.

satay sue is offline Registered User

Thing is, some helpers don't actually like going home. They get descended upon by extended family with their hands out and expected to give out presents. I think this is something you should clear at the interview, we didn't and I was surprised when my helper asked if she could stay while we were away - I'd assumed she'd snatch our hands off for a free flight home with paid vacation! For us it wasn't trust, we just thought she'd prefer to be home rather than sitting around for 2 weeks (I don't do the long summer vacation thing). It's great to come home to a clean house with stocked fridge - though the creepily arranged, colour-coordinated (and usually rearranged!) drawers and cupboards freaked me out, like something out of "Sleeping with the Enemy"!

lesliefu likes this.

Trying is offline Registered User

Belated thanks for all the advice - much appreciated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top