Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Home test says postive; not sure what to do next

missprincepessa is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleKwong View Post
    Missprincepessa- are you serious? 5 weeks +6 days and you don't get a spot? How early do you need to find a hpspital?
    VERY serious!! If you want private and want to get a confirmation of a place well before 30 weeks, i would suggest booking an OB appointment before 5 weeks. It sucks. Yes.

Carly_Rajani is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by anoninhk View Post
    Thanks for the great advice, all! I am quite flexible, and can go either private or public. I had to go into the ER at a public hospital once, and all the docs and nurses there were fab, so I have complete faith in them. If I get the go ahead from my doctor, I might even go back to the UK for delivery, since I was planning to pop back home in the summer anyway (for a wedding, not the Olympic games! :)).
    If you're carrying one baby and you've had an uncomplicated pregnancy then you can fly up to 36 weeks of pregnancy. However, airlines are sometimes unwilling to carry women who are more than 28 weeks pregnant because of the risk of premature labour. So please be aware of this ; )

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by missprincepessa View Post
    Even with public you may face having to deliver off the maternity ward due to the pressure on the system.
    I have never heard of that happening!! Do you know someone who had to deliver in the maternity ward, or is it just a rumour that you heard?? I really doubt that would happen...

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

If such a thing was happening, it would be all over the tabloid press and more hatemongering against the mainland mothers would be occurring. As this has not happened, I would suspect its just a rumour with no basis in fact.

I'll stick with my original advice : Relax, dont panic, find a decent doctor and follow good advice.

superhappy is offline Registered User

It is true the Year of the Dragon is crazy busy. Loads of people are coming over from Mainland China to deliver their dragon baby here. Get your appointment as early as possible. you might even have to wait a week already before they have time to see you.
    if you are applying for Mathilda, then they will not send your application in before you are 9 weeks pregnant, but they send them in, the same order they came in. so if you are early you are more likely to secure a spot.
    Good luck with it all.

jt06 is offline Registered User

A good way to relax is to book hospitals as early as possible so that you got everything covered. Much better than waiting and then finding out many hospitals are full. Most private hospitals do get full very very quickly, especially this year. But of course, if you are sure you can deliver in the UK, then go for it.

missprincepessa is offline Registered User

It happens to women even in the private system (post delivery at least), ie. at Adventist women post c-section are being sent to medical ward when maternity is full which means they are not allowed to have their baby with them to room in. (search on this thread to see examples). I cannot see how it is not possible in the public system given the extreme strain. I do wonder if MR howard coombs has any recent experience in this matter! I am not sure why you would relax now, and stress later....??

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by missprincepessa View Post
    It happens to women even in the private system (post delivery at least), ie. at Adventist women post c-section are being sent to medical ward when maternity is full which means they are not allowed to have their baby with them to room in.
    Ofcourse this happens and it happens regularly in both private and public systems. It has happened for the past 2 decades I've been in Hong Kong. This can happen if there are a few extra emergencies on a particular day and has nothing to do with pressures on the system.
    However, and lets not change the subject, thats not what you said previously:
    you may face having to deliver off the maternity ward due to the pressure on the system.
    Those 2 statements are wildly different from each other.

No matter, its perfectly clear what your advice is : Rush quickly to your doctor. Bed spaces are at a premium and you will miss out. Matilda is the best. Quickly book an OB appointment before 5 weeks. It sucks. Yes.

My advice is : Relax, dont panic, find a decent doctor and follow good advice which the doctor will give you. Your doctor will also be able to advise you on the various hospitals and options.

Readers are free to choose and make their own minds up from here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast