Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tulle, tulle and more tulle.....

mummymoo is offline Registered User

Tulle, tulle and more tulle.....

Dear Ladies,I'm on the hunt for some plain white tulle for a costume project with my DD. I was recommended a place in central, in one of the tiny streets off Queens Road opposite H&M that only sells fabric, I won't name them but suffice to say I found them extraordinarily rude and obnoxious today. My Chinese is terrible but I have learnt a few sentences since I moved to Hong Kong, and tried to ask in a few words of Chinese and mostly English for the tulle and this husband and wife team (mainly the husband) just basically told me/yelled at me to get out of their shop, pointed to their lunch (the store was still open). Really shook me up. Will not be going there again.
    So now ladies I am on the hunt for some tulle, like wedding veil stuff (but doesn't have to be that nice). I went to a curtain place on Lyndhurst Street called Dragon Interiors where I usually go for my blinds, but the sheer fabric just wasn't right, even though the husband wife team there were lovely and tried their best to help me. Also hunted around the Wan Chai wet market but no cigar. So I'm hoping one of our ladies on GB can help! Please!

Gracey is offline Registered User

Wow, that's a rare response in HK. I've never been treated that way in a shop before, but maybe because I'm local. Sorry to hear it.
    Have you tried the fabric sellers in Western Market, Sheung Wan?

carang is offline Registered User

or any of the hundreds of fabric places in sham shui po?

mummymoo is offline Registered User

Thanks Gracey and Cara! I will give the western market a visit. Sham Shui Po.....hmmmmm, not too sure how I'd fare with my pidgeon Chinese.....

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Western Market is MUCH more expensive than SSP. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to "handle" SSP for some reason so I went with a friend and LOVED it. I'd heard it was the "bad part of town" but found it to be neat and nice - and the shop keepers were REALLY nice and helpful, even though I don't speak Chinese. Most of them speak adequate English. After going once, I would never go back to Western Market!! Give it a go and you probably won't be disappointed :)

i honestly have no idea why so many expats harbour this fear of sham shui po.... my in-laws live there (right behind dragon centre) and it really is NOTHING to be afraid of!

erina320 is offline Registered User

I didn't realize I was supposed to have a fear of SSP. We go there all the time!

i've heard some expats go on about how unsafe ssp is... silly really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top