Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Starting the helper search....

SJY
    SJY is offline Registered User

Starting the helper search....

We're arriving at the end of June to sign a lease on an apartment as well as sort out the paperwork for a helper. We have a now 10 month old son so of course we're looking for someone outstanding:)
    I'd love to start with recommendations before going through an agency. Skype interviews this Spring would be fantastic, to start. Does anyone have a recommendation for us? Are you moving and have someone wonderful you'd like to pass off to an easygoing Canadian family?

Thanks
    SY

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

I think you're starting to look too early. If you're not arriving until end of June, really you don't want to be doing Skype interviews until late May/early June. I know you want to feel prepared, but helpers don't generally commit to a new job months in advance.

SJY

Hi Honkyblues,
    Yes, we're definitely starting early but I figure it's a numbers game- even if we're interviewing now and nothing materializes, we can start to get an idea of 'what's out there' so to speak. We've got the time:)

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

I had a terrible experience with Skype interviews and will never do it again. The broadband connection in the Philippines (where our interviewees came from) was VERY slow. We could not understand them since there was a delay or they would simply freeze or the call would drop out. They probably could not understand our Irish & Aussie accents as well. Also they seem to have pre-prepared answers that didn't seem to come from them.

It wasn't our cup of tea so we opted to do face to face interviews instead. So much better than a rehearsed Q&A.

rebekah is offline Registered User

honestly, I agree with the other posters. Wait til you get here, or at least closer to that time. Helpers usually sign about 6-8 weeks in advance at most, in my personal experience, but you can do what best suits you. The best advice I can give you is to go with your gut. Helpers with glowing references have turned out terrible for me, while I have had 2 fabulous helpers (one let go for financial reasons, one left of her own accord after finding us as a new employer and giving notice) One through geoexpat and one via word of mouth/grapevine.

SJY

Thanks you guys- I do agree that it's likely easier, and possibly better to meet face to face. I'm not rushing to commit at this point, I just want to get a feel of what's out there. Our previous life abroad, in the Middle East, introduced us to the 'helper culture' but we didn't employ one so I'm still a rookie! Plus, I'm still in the midst of a year long maternity leave (love Canada!) so I've got the time.