Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Urgent Advice needed: CDNIS vs. GSIS

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

I do know people who have had an offer for GSIS with the need to confirm and pay the deposit by the end of next week. Not sure if they are still interviewing though, but definitely offers going out from GSIS.

Tuna108 is offline Registered User

If you believe everything the schools tell you, I ave a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Jokes aside, our neighbors son who is Canadian, got an acceptance last week. They our from Ottawa so maybe that helped. Both my children attend CDNIS and they really love it. The Chinese program is fantastic and the school produces well rounded pupils. I have heard people complaining that the school is very local but that is a plus for us.

Don't know much about GSIS except that they have an intensive academic bent and the Chinese program is poor.

Canucker is offline Registered User

Our son interviewed before CNY at CDNIS for Reception and we have not heard and he also has sibling priority. Did your neighbour's child get accepted for the 2012/2013 year for Pre Reception or Reception? I am with others on this thread who said letters have not gone out yet. CDNIS was still doing interviews today for Pre Rec and Rec b/c we know kids that were testing. We have been told that we won't hear until March.

That being said... our daughter loves CDNIS (she is in Reception). The Mandarin programme is great, the class size is small 20, her teachers are quick to respond to our queries and other teachers/staff/Principals know her by name (not because she is bad) which I really appreciate. We love the warmth of the school. As for those who say it is too local - I can see it in the older grades, but her class is a good mix.

Sun Queen likes this.

HappyV is offline Registered User

GSIS has had a reputation for a long time of having an administration that is very dismissive of parental concerns.

Their extra-curricular program is not even in the same ball park as CDNIS'.

Also, the curriculum at GSIS is more limited - they only offer a very narrow range of subjects for matriculation. CDNIS' IB package is growing every year.

I would go with CDNIS.

Sun Queen likes this.

HappyV

How does the academic standard at CDNIS compare with the elite schools like CIS and GSIS, particularly at the Secondary level? The IB results from last year seem prett mediocre.

Also, do you know much about the University placements from CDNIS. From the CDNIS website I do not see that many students attend the top universities (Ivy Leagues or OxBridge) rather most end up at Tier II or III unis.

Finally, the student body looks to be pretty local at the secondary school level but I hear that that is changing. What is your view?

carang is offline Registered User

just a question: are you judging its "localness" by photographs or by some other method. remember, just because people look chinese, does not mean they are local. they very well could be overseas chinese.

also, is it really important how many of the kids go to ivy league or oxbridge unis? i thought there was more to education than passing exams and getting into the very, very, very top universities.... but that's just me.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna108 View Post
    How does the academic standard at CDNIS compare with the elite schools like CIS and GSIS, particularly at the Secondary level? The IB results from last year seem prett mediocre.
    They dont really compare.
    GSIS is a high pressure, very academic school.
    CNDIS is a well rounded school with emphasis on school work as well as music, fine arts and sports.
    Also, do you know much about the University placements from CDNIS. From the CDNIS website I do not see that many students attend the top universities (Ivy Leagues or OxBridge) rather most end up at Tier II or III unis.
    CDNIS is not known to be nor meant to be a high pressure academic school. One should not expect a lot of their students to end up in IvyLeague universities. Many of the families I know that have their kids attend CDNIS have their sights set on Canadian Universities.

Finally, the student body looks to be pretty local at the secondary school level but I hear that that is changing. What is your view?
    The student body at most foreign top end universities also look to be pretty asian. How/Why is this relevant to the discussion on hand?
    Sun Queen likes this.

All good points howardcoombs and carang. that is why my kids attend CDNIS. from the sound of it, GSIS is a fairly academics focused one dimensional school.

Last edited by Tuna108; 02-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Sun Queen likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast