Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Travel sick toddler

mumsy is offline Registered User

Travel sick toddler

My 2yr old gets travel sick very easily, even on short journeys lasting 10 mins by car or bus.

Has anyone had the same problem with their child? Wondering if prescribed meds are the way to go or if there are any other natural remedies available.

We've tried just giving him plain foods such as crackers to eat before a journey, but even when he's had very little to eat - he still wants to vomit but just brings up saliva.

We're hoping to go on our first family holiday this year but don't want it to be a miserable time for him. He's never been on a plane or the old style trains you get in the UK, plus there will be a 4-5hr car ride.

Also he's due to start school this Sept and was hoping he could take the school bus with his older brother, but don't think this is at all possible as the route takes about 30-40 mins.

I have also suffered from travel sickness all my life but am able to manage it better as an adult, so it might not be a thing he will outgrow and get used to.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Poor little guy! I have always had motion sickness and it helps to look out the window. Can you teach him to look out the window instead of things inside the car? The reason why people get motion sick is because the signals from the ears (movement) don't match the signals from the eyes (ie, the inside of the car is stationary). Looking outside can reduce that...

If he already does that, I don't know what else might help. There are some motion sickness wristbands and random things like that but no idea if they actually work...

btw - how are his ears? If he has a lot of ear infections or fluid in the ears etc, that can apparently make motion sickness worse. If he has issues there, perhaps dealing with that might help...?

I'd definitely be mentioning it to your GP/pediatrician and seeing what advice they have...

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

My son gets motion sick on the ferry but (fingers crossed) seems ok in cars and buses. We bought the seabands that nicolejoy referred too. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but last time we caught the ferry I did a running commentary on what was happening outside to make sure he looked out the window for the 25 min journey. Hubby and I both get car, ferry and bus sick if we look down when travelling. I got the seabands from Fanda in Central if you wanted to try them. Not very expensive.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

i recommend trying the bands - I used to get car and seasick as a child and still get seasick and found they really help. I also lent them to my 13 year old nephew who gets motion sickness really easily and he now swears by them. So definitely try them. You and he have my sympathies, motion sickness is horrible. Luckily my kids seem to have taken after their father and don't seem to suffer from it so far....

PNatik is offline Registered User

My daughter used to be the same. Since we started play group 1,5y.o. We travelled to school almost every morning, and she vomited every time. I just had to bring extra cloths for her, and always bring plastic bag, we couldn't use school bus because of this problem. I didn't know what to do actually. Once somebody recommend me train her, just travel a little and add some more moverment every time. I was almost despaired, but problem solved by itself. I do not know exactly

PNatik is offline Registered User

When it's happened, but eventually she stopped vomiting. Later some doctor in Russia told me it can happen because of worms inside the stomach, so I remember I gave her some medicine, so it can be related. Doctor in HK pretend they don't know about this problem, seems kids in HK don't put their dirty fingers into the mouth.

pixelelf is offline Registered User

my son has it since 1.5years old as well. he's now 4 years old still suffers from it but not as bad. point to note, my husband, his brother and their dad, all have motion sickness. for them it is an ear fluid imbalance.

we'd plan outings such that if it is a long travel, we'd either go out 2 hrs after he's eaten or eat lightly or eat when we get there. we would also wind down the windows alittle which helps. we carry towel, extra clothes, plastic bags and sweets everywhere.

roads that are winding and hilly are the worst. he never fails to throw up.

just last year, we bought wrist bands from the local dispensary. they have worked 90% of the time.

we did ask his doc. his answer was: he will grow out of it... hmm im not so sure. my brother in law visited us, took a bus from cwb to our place. upon alighting, he passed out for 2secs!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

mumsy is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the tips. Will definitely try the wristbands - just saw them in Watsons but the adult ones. I saw some kids ones on the internet but not sure if there is really any difference apart from wrist size. Fingers crossed they work or at least reduce the severity of the motion sickness.