Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Vaccines to be done before traveling??

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User

Vaccines to be done before traveling??

My baby will be 6mths old in June and we are planning to bring her to San Francisco to visit cousin that gonna deliver in April.

Will it be advisable to let her have her 6th mth vaccine, monitor in case have fever and we are good to go?

It will be my 1st time traveling with my baby and it's going to be challenging as it's a long haul flight.

Questions:
    1) possible to travel right after the vaccine?
    2) will baby affected like jet lagged?
    3) what to bring to keep baby occupied during the flt?
    4) anything I should be bringing with me for baby? Eg: medication or oil? Repellent?? Anything else?

Just wanna make sure everything is in place as is the very 1st holidays together. Will appreciate if someone can help me on this. Thank you

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyousBaby View Post
    Questions:
    1) possible to travel right after the vaccine?
    2) will baby affected like jet lagged?
    3) what to bring to keep baby occupied during the flt?
    4) anything I should be bringing with me for baby? Eg: medication or oil? Repellent?? Anything else?

Just wanna make sure everything is in place as is the very 1st holidays together. Will appreciate if someone can help me on this. Thank you
    Some of these questions are for your pediatrician. Personally, I would not travel right after vaccinating a young child as certain vaccines can lower the child's immune system temporarily. Different vaccines have different potential side effects that may appear at different times (sometimes a day or two after the vaccination sometimes a couple weeks later). Certain vaccinations are more likely to have a low grade fever and other 'pain'.

If you are flying to SF, your child will be jet lagged, but how bad it is depends on what kind of sleep schedule your child currently keeps and on your child's general tolerance for this kind of change. My daughter was okay when she was younger with long trips and jet lag, but after about 11 months flights to the US and Europe became a nightmare.

There are lots of travel checklists for babies online and these questions have been addressed a lot on this site also. General things - several changes of clothes (including a change of clothes for you), 1 diaper for every couple hours of expected travel, etc. You can bring panadol/ neurofen on the flight if you think you might need it, but I wouldn't travel with a child that I knew was already sick and likely to need these.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I would probably move the immunisations to be a week before leaving - it should be still ok. The extra immunity may be a blessing, since when you travel you are more susceptible to all kinds of infectious diseases. You probably wouldn't want to travel 1-2 days after immunisations just in case the little one does have a fever/reaction that makes her uncomfortable...

AndreaSB is offline Registered User

Agree with others. Give yourself at least 2 days. They tend to have a stronger reaction than earlier vaccinations.

JoyousBaby is offline Registered User

Thank u for the advice. Will ask ped if it's ok to have her vaccine 1 wk earlier cos she was ok on her 1st vaccine. Don't wanna take the risk though.
    Discussed with husband to leave her with relatives and we go for a week as our 2nd honeymoon but he wasn't thrill. His precious gem :(

evgreen is offline Registered User

I brought my then 4 month old to Connecticut and the jet lag was a nightmare!!! It took her almost a full week to get over the time change completely and the first 3 nights are the roughest. I always had paracetamol, thermometer and sanitizing wipes on the plane. I would wait a few days at least before traveling after vaccination.