Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nicolejoy
  • 2 Post By pipinhk
  • 1 Post By nicolejoy

World Down Syndrome Day

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

World Down Syndrome Day

The other day (21 March) was World Down Syndrome day. As the parent of a child with special needs (not DS), I thought I'd post this short video to raise awareness of Down Syndrome. I really enjoyed it and could relate to so much of it, even though my daughter does not have DS.

Enjoy!!

"We asked parents, if they could go back to right before they had their baby with Down Syndrome, what would they tell themselves. They said..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVxz7...layer_embedded

AmyH likes this.

pipinhk is offline Registered User

Nic, do you know the significance of the date?
    21/3 (or of you're American 3/21) is because people with DS have 3 chromosomes on their 21st...pretty cool :)

charade and shwetakhanna like this.

yep, pretty cool :) I told my hubby last night, I'd love to adopt a child with DS... it's the most common congenital condition so there are SO many kids in need of a home... and also since it's the most common, there are huge support networks available...

thanka2 likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    yep, pretty cool :) I told my hubby last night, I'd love to adopt a child with DS... it's the most common congenital condition so there are SO many kids in need of a home... and also since it's the most common, there are huge support networks available...
    I have discussed with my husband about adopting a child with down syndrome as well. I have worked closely with adults with DS through Horseback riding for the disabled and found it to be very rewarding, as well as challenging. I would love to open our hearts and home to a little one that needs a loving family. Just waiting for our children to get a bit older so they are more understanding of the needs of someone with DS.

pipinhk is offline Registered User

Go for it! Apart from my own obvious bias there is no reason not to adopt a child with DS, and there are plenty of them in HK looking for a loving home. They have extra needs but hey what child doesn't! and Erina, I wouldn't wait it won't make any difference in fact if your biological children are younger when you welcome a new child into your home they will never know any different and will not need to understand anything about differences, their new brother or sister will be just another part of the family!

My daughter was 21 months old when her "special needs sister" was born. Of course we had no warning and didn't plan it that way. It was really hard at first because both of them needed us so much - but now they are 1.5 and 3.5 and I love that they are close together. I also love that my older daughter will never remember NOT having a sister - and that her special needs have always been a part of her life. She talks about the doctors and physio etc as if it's completely "normal" because she's so used to it. I don't think that you need to wait until your kids are "old enough to understand" because whenever it happens, they will learn and it will become your new everyday life :)