Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pacifier/ soother

Merlinmama is offline Registered User

Pacifier/ soother

Hi!
    Can anyone recommend a good pacifier for my 2 month old LO. I am exclusively breastfeeding her. I have never given her a pacifier before but planning to get one as we are taking her on her first flight overseas. Thank you

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User

I would suggest you try a few brands to find one your child likes. I am using Tommee Tippee bottles so thought that my son would like the Tommee Tippee pacifier but he didn't - he just kept spitting in out. I have ended up using one by Avent.

taysty is offline Registered User

I bought both MAM and Avent. Personally, like the Avent one more becoz it comes with a cap to keep it clean. MAM you can only keep it in the twin compartment box that comes with it.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i use Nuk - it's a bit softer than the Avent one that I also bought...after buying both - my baby doesn't use either - but instead a little towel to put himself to sleep! beats me!

trttrt is offline Registered User

Both my kids preferred the avent over nuk.. I did buy a few brands for them to try out though!

southside852 is offline Registered User

we used avent too.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Just my thoughts... have you considered not getting one and just letting her suck on something else? (even your pinky finger works in a pinch). If it's just mainly for the plane, that would work just fine. I've had 2 kids who both grew very attached to their dummies and it was a pain in the butt to wean them off it - plus we had to remember it when we were going out etc... My 2nd, I didn't even want to give a dummy to her if I could help it because I didn't want to deal with weaning her off it - but they wanted her to have one in the NICU when she was being fed by tube so that she would retain some of that sucking reflex. I just had to take it off her last week after a surgery and she still can't sleep well without it. If I had the chance, I'd love to have a kid who did not need one!! Next time I plan on not offering one, if possible...

Anyway - I'm sure there are ways to prevent a child from becoming addicted to it if you don't want her to (eg, ONLY use it on the plane and don't offer it day to day) but just a word of warning :)

My oldest used Avent and my younger used Pigeon (available at Watsons). It depends on the shape of their mouth, which one they would like, and both times I had to buy a few different brands to find a style that suited them.

Also, another note, neither of my girls needed it on the plane - and my baby even had constant build up of fluid in the middle ear and has just had grommets placed. Neither of them ever needed to suck when ascending or descending and we never had any issues with ear pain. I would be interested to know actually how many babies DO have issues with it...

aussie mum is offline Registered User

I have 3 children - none of them have ever had a pacifier. (The middle child was a thumb sucker until age 3.) The other two never needed anything although at 6/7 weeks age all 3 of them would probably have quite liked one. I was very reluctant to start the habit so always resisted.
    We flew many times when they were young and never needed anything for flights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast