Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By burrcl

Live-out helper committed to work?

kit_kat is offline Registered User

Live-out helper committed to work?

I'm just wondering how committed to work is a live-out helper? Will flexibility/ distractions out there result in low commitment in their work? I'm looking for one right now but before we move into our new place, she would need to live-out for approx 2 months. So I'm worried during this period she's used to staying out and will not be able to adapt to live-in later (definitely living in will be more disciplined).

lesliefu is offline Registered User

I wouldn't worry too much...I work with a helper who "lives out" ( at my g-Ma's place cause we dont have space) now but "lived in" before and not much has changed....so I think it comes down to the character of the helper and the demands you have for her work. She will just have to adjust for the sake of her job..if that's what is important to her...again it comes down to her character.

burrcl is offline Registered User

I have to agree with Leslie and say it all comes down to character. If she has lived in previously, she will know what to expect. 2 months out won't corrupt her - she knows there's a big city full of things to do out there already! The majority of the working population don't live at their place of employment, but show no less commitment for it and still turn up for work day in day out. I never pulled a sickie when I was in an office, even though there was plenty of opportunity to do so. If an employee is treated with respect, they will show commitment to their role and employer.

Gracey likes this.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Our live-out helper is wonderful.
    We clearly stated that she couldn't do outside freelance work and she said "of course!"
    She's here every morning on time, stays till the baby is in bed, and comes in for extra help when needed.

As for distractions -- most of my local relatives will never have a live-out because they say they will "put on makeup, go to movies, hang out with other Filipinas, and learn bad behaviors." Some of them refuse to let them out of the house on Sundays for this reason.
    I think this is a terrible attitude. We respect our helper as an adult. I honestly don't care what she does on her days or evenings off. OK, we're lucky that our helper mostly goes to a church group and stays at home. But even if she wanted to party her weekend away, that's her right.

The only big concern is that a younger, single helper might get pregnant while living out. But I think that's extremely rare, but something you can talk about in advance in you don't want to bear the responsibility of maternity leave for her.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    The only big concern is that a younger, single helper might get pregnant while living out. But I think that's extremely rare, but something you can talk about in advance in you don't want to bear the responsibility of maternity leave for her.
    Actually you can't talk to her about pregnancy as an employer - not legal for you to discriminate against her based on maternity status (i.e. discourage her from getting pregnant). Lots of people still do it in HK, but that doesn't make it okay. In countries with more developed women's rights laws talking about pregnancy with a female employee (or even potential employee) would be deplorable (and in many cases grounds for a lawsuit).

I had an employer ask me in an interview here if I planned on having any more children and was completely shocked and told them that my personal life should not be part of the interview. The more senior partners at the firm were aghast to learn that I had been asked this question at an interview and I sited it as a reason for declining the job when offered.

kit_kat is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the valuable comments. I totally agree that it all boils down to the character. I'm so much relieved now as I've earlier restricted myself to think whatever pattern (live-out) I start off with the helper, changing in halfway will only does harm more than good. So I think as long as the helper is flexible enough to accept changes, and mentally prepared for it, things should work out fine.

mummymoo is offline Registered User

elle, HK is not what you would call advanced in terms of women's right/maternity leave, work/life balance ect. I have never been asked the pregnancy issue, how many children do I plan to have, am I pregnant now, asked to take a urine sample for unspecified reasons except in HK. It is illegal here to discriminate against an actually pregnant woman but not necessarily before she gets pregnant. Sadly Hk is not Australia, the UK or the US when it comes down to this issue.
    In terms of what Gracey says, I'm not sure. I wouldn't ask a helper during the interview process what was asked of me (see above) because I found it pretty rude and rather offensive, but I think once the helper starts to work for you then a chat about letting you know in advance if she does become pregnant so that the household disruption would be minimised would be okay. Personally pregnancy and maternity leave, is what it is, a bit of an incovenience but not the end of the world, and if you like your helper (as I do), I do hope one day she does have her own family as it's what she hopes for and its something I've enjoyed greatly.