Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

I am losing weight, is it normal

Tasha2303 is offline Registered User

It perfectly normal. I lost weight in all 3 of my pregnancies. I lost 1 and half stone with the latest but have put it back on over the pregnancy. I'm due on Tuesday and am currently only a stone heavier than my post pregnancy weight. Baby is healthy and so am I, I've just alawya been slim.
    Just eat and drink well, exercise and you will be fine.
    Of course if you get really concerned then talk to your doctor, they will give you advice on putting I back on.
    Congrats : )

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasha2303 View Post
    It perfectly normal. I lost weight in all 3 of my pregnancies. I lost 1 and half stone with the latest but have put it back on over the pregnancy. I'm due on Tuesday and am currently only a stone heavier than my post pregnancy weight. Baby is healthy and so am I, I've just alawya been slim.
    Just eat and drink well, exercise and you will be fine.
    Of course if you get really concerned then talk to your doctor, they will give you advice on putting I back on.
    Congrats : )
    My experience is that HK docs (at least in the public hospitals) tend to over-react. I was something like 36 or 38-weeks pregnant and I was one kilo lighter than the previous week at my weekly appointment. They ordered tests for me and I had to be under continuous fetal monitoring for an hour to make sure the baby was okay. And the thing is that I was WELL over the recommended amount of weight to gain for my pregnancy. That "lost" kilo could be accounted for by using the bathroom and having a light breakfast.

But, they really pulled out all the stops. I had no other health issues--blood pressure and blood sugar were fine--no other problems. And of course my daughter spent the entire hour of fetal monitoring violently trying to kick off the monitor! She was and is absolutely healthy.

So, I think the doctors often do a lot to generate unnecessary fear in their patients. If there is something truly amiss it will become obvious but otherwise, no need to worry yourself about it.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Tasha2303 is offline Registered User

I had the same thing happen. Babys weight was spot on all the way along then two weeks ago they said she was small, I had the fetal monitoring and loads of scans. Now she is fine again???
    Think it may be a way to make money, we have been going private.
    Always better to be safe than sorry though.

missprincepessa is offline Registered User

I am seeing a private OB and she absolutely does not weigh me at all. She can see the baby's growth during routine scans. My OB is Western, not local. Not sure if that makes the difference?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by missprincepessa View Post
    I am seeing a private OB and she absolutely does not weigh me at all. She can see the baby's growth during routine scans. My OB is Western, not local. Not sure if that makes the difference?
    I think that local docs and overseas docs differ greatly. I think it's protocol to weigh and measure everything in the HK system. They love their paperwork and protocols here and rarely deviate from them.

In the States, I was weighed as well during my first pregnancy but it was like totally no big deal. They just put in your chart and don't make any mention of it. They need it for their records as well.

However, here in HK, I went in for my 6-month appointment in the public hospital this last time around and they flat out told me with wide eyes, "You're too fat. You need to go on a diet." Then the nurse at the Mother-Child health clinic wrote in big bold letters on the chart while I was sitting there "DIET."

However, it mustn't have been too drastic of a situation as they didn't offer to send me to a dietician and they didn't even offer me any advice on exactly how I was to "go on a diet" at 6-months pregnancy. I walked out of the clinic and started crying.

I went to see a private doc who was western educated for part of my pregnancy and they never weighed me, though.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

dressuphk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    However, here in HK, I went in for my 6-month appointment in the public hospital this last time around and they flat out told me with wide eyes, "You're too fat. You need to go on a diet." Then the nurse at the Mother-Child health clinic wrote in big bold letters on the chart while I was sitting there "DIET."
    I personally think it's crazy to go for a diet when pregnant... but I am feeling more comfortable that gaining weight or not is not a very big deal. Thanks
    mummy mummy hooohooo

charade is offline Registered User

Er, by diet they mean monitor what you eat, cut out high-fat stuff etc. But they are very insensitive in how they address it. I was also stressed out by my weight as a result of the MCH appointments for my first pregnancy - they did try to ask me what I was eating and suggest modifications but it turned out I was already doing all their modifications and still gaining weight. Finally, my husband told me to just chill and gorge as I pleased. For my second, same thing, but I just told them very firmly - hello, I gained exactly this much for my first pregnancy and my baby was on the small side, not humungous as predicted. That shut everyone up.

RinkoWingman is offline Registered User

Building a baby costs a lot of energy. Which basically means you're burning more calories. Add that to the healthier food that you eat, less sugar, less greasy food. With that most women lose a bit of weight in the first trimester. Up to 5Kg I've heard.
    No need to worry!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast